Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leaving Dry Hops/Fruit in a keg?  (Read 5627 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Leaving Dry Hops/Fruit in a keg?
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »
I just picked up this dry hopper (http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap_p_155.html) and am about to give it it's first use in an APA/Session IPA. I've always used a secondary for dry-hopping and removed the beer from the hops after a week or so. My question is if I leave the dry hopper in the keg will I eventually get a negative effect from having the hops in too long?

I'm also toying with the idea of throwing some mangos or some other fruit in the dry hopper. So, same question - do you think leaving the fruit in the keg would eventually be a bad call? I'm wondering if it would eventually begin to rot. 

Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Leaving Dry Hops/Fruit in a keg?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »
I just picked up this dry hopper (http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap_p_155.html) and am about to give it it's first use in an APA/Session IPA. I've always used a secondary for dry-hopping and removed the beer from the hops after a week or so. My question is if I leave the dry hopper in the keg will I eventually get a negative effect from having the hops in too long?

I'm also toying with the idea of throwing some mangos or some other fruit in the dry hopper. So, same question - do you think leaving the fruit in the keg would eventually be a bad call? I'm wondering if it would eventually begin to rot. 

Thanks!

That's the one I have. As for the hops, I leave them in. You'll just have to experiment to see what you like - brewers here like dry hopping at all sorts of time increments (and temps). I used to dry hop in secondary for a week, then keg. I haven't found much difference in leaving them in, since I put the keg in the fridge after a week of dry hopping @ room temp (though some extraction does occur at colder temps, and sometimes with different character). But many others perceive a grassiness with long extraction. Regardless, the cool thing with the canister is that you can easily pull it whenever the flavor is where YOU want. As for the fruit, I usually use purees in secondary before kegging.

EDIT - The concern with the fruit in the canister wouldn't be in rotting (low pH and alcohol present would keep that in check), but depending on the yeast strain you used and your serving temp, there could be additional fermentation leading to excessive carbonation in a keg that sat for awhile. If it were a keg that were only gonna last a couple weeks, you'd probably be fine.

EDIT 2 - I did use the canister with fresh fruit in it once (come to think of it) before I switched to purees for good. And it came out fine - but like I said, the keg went very quickly, ~ 7 -10 days. I don't remember it seeming over carbed before it kicked. It may well have gotten that way with more time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:48:13 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:31:50 pm »
I dry hop in the keg for most of my pales and IPAS, kegs usually kick within a month or so and I've experienced no issues. My typical dry hop is 3-4 oz.

As for fruit I agree with the above in terms of concern but I've never done it so have no experience to relate
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »
Agree with Duboman.  No issues with dryhopping kegs in the fridge other than making sure to contain them so they don't clog lines.  No experience on adding fruit in kegs.  I usually add fruit in secondary and let any added sugar ferment out.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:51 am »
Great, appreciate the advice everyone. 3 gallons of a low abc beer should go pretty quick.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:41:15 pm »
Is low abc beer better than high OCD beer?

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:51:20 am »
I love high OCD beers
-AK

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:52:18 am »
Fruit in a keg might be a problem without a sure screen. I had a mango pale ale I had racked out of secondary and so much fruit came over I had to put a sure screen on my dip tube or I was getting chunks which I didn't care for. I prefer not to chew my beer.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 11:42:06 am »
One of the fruit wine makers in my group said that some particulate is likely to be racked over, even using a sanitized mesh bag as a screen.  So I am going to see how clear my Blackberry Brett Saison racks this weekend.  If necessary, will Biofine drop this stuff out in the keg?  I could do that with a cold crash and re-rack to get it clearer....just thinking out loud.what is a sure screen?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:58:49 am »
Found the sure screen as a brand name - and I have one, so I'll be sure to use it when racking this batch.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stauffbier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 03:28:33 pm »
I can't speak for the dry hopper in question, but I do dry hop in kegs. I typically just use a paint strainer bag, and I leave it in there until the keg kicks. I've never had an issue with off flavors as a result.

I've never added fruit orfruit juice to a keg, but I've read about a few people that have. The obvious concern of the fruit fermenting is an issue. To combat that you could kill off the yeast with Campden and k-sorbate when you keg. As mentioned, I would be a little concerned with fruit chunks/debris clogging the dip tubes. Maybe in this case it would be better to add juice that you press or extract from the fruit.