Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: growing hops hydroponically  (Read 6269 times)

Offline travjohn92

• Cellarman
growing hops hydroponically
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:33:35 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with growing hops in a hydroponic environment? My neighbor has a hydropnic system for growing flowers and vegetables and he said we could experiment with some rhizomes.  Before I engage in it just want to know if there is any feedback from the forum.
Primary: Belgian Wheat IPA, Vlad the IPAler
Secondary:  Iced Oatmeal Dunkelweizen
Kegged:  Baron Von IPWEIZEN, Dunkelweizen
Bottled: De Perverse Monnik Tripel
Next Up: Bog Nog Black IPA, Wake N Bake Clone, Breadbasket Wheat

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: growing hops hydroponically
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:37:42 pm »
Never done it, but hops are said to like dry feet. That is, well drained soil so they don't have root rot, or get a fungal infection (that may be a problem with hydroponics).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:10:23 pm »
Several years ago a guy started a thread on realbeer.com about his attempt to hydroponically grow hops.  After a long growing season he abandoned the project as a complete failure.  He managed to get a few sickly leaves to grow but that was the extent of it.  Part of the problem is having a room 20' tall for them to grow in.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »
Hydroponics can be done outside...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 06:45:33 pm »
Hydroponics can be done outside...

Yep. Here in CO lots of people grow the dank outdoors with hydro. I got my mom to plant hops in her garden last year and they didn't do much. I expect to maybe get a harvest in the 3rd year.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline cclark970

• 1st Kit
    • Hydro Hop Farms
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:28:10 am »
So I know it's been awhile, but yes hydro can be done with hops and done well!  Our place is in Colorado!  I wanted to add some photos, but can't seem to figure that out...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 08:35:09 am »
So I know it's been awhile, but yes hydro can be done with hops and done well!  Our place is in Colorado!  I wanted to add some photos, but can't seem to figure that out...

cool!

To add photos click the little mona lisa button above the smileys. it will insert an image tag like this (broken so it will show)

[imq][/imq]

the photo has to be hosted on a flick, photobucket type site. copy the address of the photo (it should end in .jpg or .img or what have you) and paste it between the img tags.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce