Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back Sweetening Cider  (Read 2098 times)

Offline colingoetz

• 1st Kit
Back Sweetening Cider
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:41:44 pm »
If I run my cider thru a filter while getting it into the keg, Does that filter enough of the yeast out so I can then back sweeten it? Or do I need to go thru the process of killing off the yeast?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Back Sweetening Cider
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:36:54 am »
If you're keeping the cider cold in the keg, I don't think you have to worry about the yeast (unless it is Lager yeast).
Dan Chisholm

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:47:07 am »
Definitely maybe!  :)  It depends on the type of filter and how large the pores are. Course filters will allow yeast through, fine filters will not. A 1 micron filters will remove yeast cells - sometimes it's called a 'sterile filter'. A courser filter may remove some, but perhaps not all. As dannyjed said, keeping the keg cold will help keep any remaining yeast inactive.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:29:01 am »
If you're not sure, you could stabilize it with Campden and Potassium Sorbate.  I stabilize my ciders because I tend to send them to competitions and I don't want to bottle blowing up on the way or when the open it.  1 campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate K per gallon.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:30:59 am »
If you're not sure, you could stabilize it with Campden and Potassium Sorbate.  I stabilize my ciders because I tend to send them to competitions and I don't want to bottle blowing up on the way or when the open it.  1 campden tablet and 1/2 tsp sorbate K per gallon.

+1. I stabilize too.
Jon H.