Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: opps! I meant to ask: has anyone used soy milk in brewing beer?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline DLowrie

• 1st Kit
  • Creative Sudster
I was thinking: What would happen if I added soy milk to my sparge water? I've done it with honey  or apple cider with pretty good results. But does soy milk curdle? Would it make your beer  weird?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: opps! I meant to ask: has anyone used soy milk in brewing beer?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:17:02 pm »
Is there fat in it?

Offline bernardsmith

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:09:33 pm »
There is a traditional drink called koumis which is made of fermented milk (traditionally mare's milk) . I have made one batch using fat free lactose free milk and one batch of lactose free free milk mixed with honey to make a mead called a lactomel I am planning on experimenting with regular milk. The flavors are quite  er... interesting... Drinkable, ... yes,  but certainly not something I would reach for as my drink of choice in a quiet evening. but both the koumis and the lactomel are very young. The curds, by the way are deliciously sweet and alcoholic. Soy, I have not tried, so I apologize if I have hi-jacked your post

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »
Is there a benefit you have in mind when thinking of adding soy milk? I've never had the thought " this would be so much better with soy milk".
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline DLowrie

• 1st Kit
  • Creative Sudster
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:22:09 am »
 Hmm. The koumis sounds interesting- I  like to discover new things- so thanks for posting this. I had a good experience when adding lactose to an oatmeal stout. I liked the mouth feel and sweetness. I was thinking perhaps almond or vanilla soy milk might sweeten the beer slightly- like a cream ale only lighter. I did get a suggestion using dry rice flour(?) but I think this might clog up my mash. Why do that if i can use a liquid already to go? And I don't think soy milk or rice milk has fat in it- but I will have to check. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:35:08 am »
The sweetness in soymilk (at least in Silk Original Soymilk) comes from added cane sugar. Cane sugar (regular old sugar) is completely fermentable and won't add any sweetness. It also has fat and protein.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:42 am »
Hmm. The koumis sounds interesting- I  like to discover new things- so thanks for posting this. I had a good experience when adding lactose to an oatmeal stout. I liked the mouth feel and sweetness. I was thinking perhaps almond or vanilla soy milk might sweeten the beer slightly- like a cream ale only lighter. I did get a suggestion using dry rice flour(?) but I think this might clog up my mash. Why do that if i can use a liquid already to go? And I don't think soy milk or rice milk has fat in it- but I will have to check.
I think for this purpose unsweetened rice milk might work except that it usually has oils added for mouthfeel. Maybe look up how to make your own rice milk? Sweetened rice milk would probably do the opposite of what your looking for: the completely fermentable added sugars would make it a little drier and thinner.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 08:54:08 am »
Trying hard to think of any possible scenario where that would taste good or even drinkable..........................................I got nothin'.    ;)
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:08:08 am »
I read a biography of Marco Polo and he said that some versions of Koumis he had at Kublai Khan's court rivaled fine white wines of Italy. Still sounds a little too interesting though.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:13:44 am »
Is there a benefit you have in mind when thinking of adding soy milk? I've never had the thought " this would be so much better with soy milk".

So much THIS^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:35 am »

Are you aware that a cream ale isn't creamy?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:52 am »

Are you aware that a cream ale isn't creamy?
The vanilla soy milk reference made me wonder if they are referring to "cream Soda" as opposed to "cream ale' the beer type.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:39 am »
I have tried adding soy milk to coffee in the past and it does curdle in a very unpleasant way. It doesn't do that when cooked in a wok (while making Thai food). I'm not sure what the difference is but adding soy milk in the brewing process seems much more like adding soy milk to hot coffee than cooking it in a wok so I would expect it to curdle.

I am at a loss to figure out what one would expect from soy milk in a beer. Most soy milk is sweetened and the sugar will ferment out. Unsweetened soy milk tastes a lot like soybeans (unsurprisingly), which isn't a bad flavor but I would opt for using soybeans or soy nuts if you are after that flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »
I have tried adding soy milk to coffee in the past and it does curdle in a very unpleasant way. It doesn't do that when cooked in a wok (while making Thai food). I'm not sure what the difference is but adding soy milk in the brewing process seems much more like adding soy milk to hot coffee than cooking it in a wok so I would expect it to curdle.
Gypsum is commonly used as a coagulant for making tofu. I'm thinking IPA is probably not a wise choice for adding soy milk to.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer