Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fill a chest freezer with water  (Read 9411 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Fill a chest freezer with water
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 07:17:28 am »
I believe this was in a zymurgy gadget issue. Where they made a chest freezer into a glycol chiller. Go for it and post results. Edit **** found in November / December 2009 issue in conical ferment chamber.
What do you know. I looked up the article - the picture is small but it does look like the freezer is just filled with glycol. He didn't really describe that part, but maybe OP could contact the author. If you can't find an email, maybe email Jill Reading (editor) and see if she can see if he's willing to share info.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

narvin

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 07:44:08 am »
As said above, it's not water tight, but the other problem is that chest freezers are designed to hold temperature, not rapidly cool. An air conditioner unit has a much higher BTU rating which is why homebrew DIY glycol chillers for larger fermenters have been made with them and not chest freezers.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 08:05:19 am »
A 7 cf freezer holds about 52 gallons. At 8 pounds per gallon, you're looking at 416 pounds. I imagine it would hold, but they are designed to hold items from the bottom, not top.
If it will hold a couple of dead bodies then I would guess it would hold water ;)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 08:58:24 am »

A 7 cf freezer holds about 52 gallons. At 8 pounds per gallon, you're looking at 416 pounds. I imagine it would hold, but they are designed to hold items from the bottom, not top.

Meant to say sides. The water would push out on the sides.