Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Triple  (Read 5958 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Triple
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:58 am »
You aren't wrong about using a toilet braid in the mash tun.  Nothing works better for a batch sparge.

What about a toilet bowl for a mash tun?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 06:31:15 am »

What about a toilet bowl for a mash tun?

You should try it and let us know how it works.  I don't think you will be pleased with the results, capacity or value. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 07:44:58 pm »
Dragging this back up to see how they turned out. Brewing the westmalle clone tonight, 12 pounds pils with 3 pounds sugar, trappist high gravity slurry from a Belgian pale I made last week.

It came pretty well.  Below is a side by side with Chimay triple.

The Chimay is darker and has less yeast character than I remembered (it's been a while since I've had one).

Compared to mine, Chimay has a rounder flavor and a thicker mouth feel.  I think it also has more of a bready flavor whereas mine tends towards light fruits.  The alcohol sweetness was very similar (Chimay is 8% ABV and mine is 8.5%).

I like the Chimay better, but I'm happy (and a bit surprised) with how well mine holds up.  Maybe I'll pick up some Westmalle for further comparison.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 12:46:19 pm »
Mine is still in the primary. It's been 13 days and gravity is at 1.014 and still dropping everyday. Crazy how long the krausen has stuck around on the this beer. Was hoping to bring it to a homebrew festival in August but it may not be ready by then. I used queasy trappist high gravity BTW.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »
queasy trappist high gravity

That's GOTTA be a spell check thing!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 01:01:13 pm »
queasy trappist high gravity

That's GOTTA be a spell check thing!

Well it is making me queasy with this extended fermentation but yes it was a stupid cell phone spell check. You would have thought wyeast would be in the dictionary from the beginning.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 10:30:35 am »
This beer has improved quite a bit over the last six weeks.  Unfortunately, the keg is on its last legs.

I entered it in a comp at the beginning of August, and it took second place in its category.  I haven't received the score sheets back yet though.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC