Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: False Bottom  (Read 1582 times)

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
False Bottom
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:32:09 pm »
Hey all.  Been searching the site, but can't seem to find a previous conversation to answer my question.  I have a false bottom in my MT that requires about 1.5 gallons of water to fill the dead space below. When I drain out my MT, I leave behind about .5 gallons of wort. My question is how should I calculate strike water and sparge water amounts? 

What I've been doing in the past is just adding 1.5 gallons of water to whatever my the recipe calls for (so I don't mess with the grain/water ratio during mashing). However my efficiency seems consistently low, and I'm starting to think it could be related to this.

Should I not be adding that extra 1.5 gallons?  Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have beersmith, but I'm not sure how to account for these numbers. I was just clicking on the "account for dead space" button, but I'm pretty sure that's not solving my problem ...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: False Bottom
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:41:22 pm »
I would calculate dead space as what gets left behind. In your case, a half gallon. But that may not fix your efficiency. If it does, supper. If not, let's hear all the details of your process and the guys/gals will help you out

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:57 am »
yeah, the 1.5 gallons foundation water is still going to mix with your grain and mash water. you are probably mashing way too thin which is hurting your efficiency.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:09:21 pm »
Frankly, water volume is something I still struggle with at times. Like with a new recipe for a grain bill size I'm not familiar with. For me, keeping it simple is key. I know how much dead space I have (leftovers), I know my boil off rate, grain absorption is tricky to be absolutely precise with because I think different grains absorb differently. But ive got it pretty close now and I don't sweat the small stuff. I shoot for 6 gallons and im happy with 5.5-6.5 end results and within a brix or so of my target.

I have a no sparge mild coming up. That will be another new challenge. But I know what I want my pre boil gravity to be so I'll just have some DME and distilled water available to tweak it if I miss.

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:47:58 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll adjust my volumes on my next brew and see if that makes a difference. Appreciate your feedback.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:30:34 am »
By any chance do you have a pick up tube under your FB? That could help reduce your lost volume
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:11:44 pm »
I have a 90 degree elbow pointing straight down under my FB ... It gets pretty close to the bottom. I think??? it's good enough ...