Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bulk Grain  (Read 1237 times)

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Bulk Grain
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:30:48 am »
Which places have the best prices for bulk grain/shipping? I just moved into a rural area with no LHBS or homebrew clubs locally and I'm trying to find which online site has the best deals. Thanks!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Bulk Grain
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:12 am »
Morebeer and midwest have free shipping over $59. That's what I use. I have added 30+ pounds of grain and gotten free shipping. If there is a limit I don't know what it is.

I know you are probably asking about full bags but the places that sell full bags all seem to end up over $65 per 50# sack for 2-row. That puts the price just as high as buying smaller quantities at morebeer and midwest (if you take advantage of free shipping).

I like the smaller quantities since my malt should be more fresh this way.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:40:46 am by alestateyall »

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
Re: Bulk Grain
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:48:36 am »
Hmm maybe I'll try that then. I was originally talking about 50/55lb sacks because I figured that buying in bulk would save on price/lb but maybe not. Thanks for the advice.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Bulk Grain
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:50:31 am »
It used to be much easier to find group/club buys of grain sacks because some wholesalers would sell directly to the groups. Now it doesn't seem like any of the wholesalers are willing to arrange the occasional pallet of grain at the expense of making their LHBS buyers upset about the competition. Now it's pretty much impossible to find a place that sells in bulk that is substantially cheaper than buying by the pound, especially when you factor in shipping. It isn't cheaper for LHBS to buy a sack of grain if they sell it by the bag or by the pound so they might as well sell it by the pound.

If a local brewery is willing to let you buy from them then that is probably the cheapest option.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing