Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cedar Wood Cubes  (Read 3327 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
Cedar Wood Cubes
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:03:32 pm »
So I'm curious.... I "made" some cedar wood cubes today, do I need to toast them? If so, how?  I figure I wouldn't want to do it too long because cedar seems to be so floral/aromatic.  I wish to skip the toasting in its entirety, I just don't know what the consequences would be..

My idea:I wanted to soak some cedar chunks in chardonnay and then put that on a heavy french saison. or some type of wild hoppy table beer.

Cheers,
Michael
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Online jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Cedar Wood Cubes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 02:28:47 pm »
Just in case you are not aware, the cedar they put in Cigar City beers is actually Spanish Mahogany.  Real cedar may have too much resin to be good in a beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:27 pm »
Hmm, wasn't really aiming to clone anything from this brewery.  Although I've had a "rare beer of the month 2x IPA on cedar" from this brewery.    Any other examples you're aware of?

I came up with the idea of this from local breweries aging things on cedar.  Are people claiming to use cedar and its really not?  I absolutely love the smell of cedar, i hope someone has experience with it!

Cheers,
Michael
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 03:17:08 pm »
I also love the smell of cedar, but have been advised by people with more experience not to use it in beer. 
Why not try putting some in a glass of beer first to see how it would work or even in a liter plastic bottle with a Carbonator cap for a period of time.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:00 am »
It's also a really good idea do make sure the specific species of cedar (which is a very general name used for several species) that you are using is not toxic in any way.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:15:09 pm »
Epic two-time Sam Adams Longshot winner Rodney Kibzey has had success with a Spanish cedar IPA for years. Most recently at Widmer's Collaborator contest. Maybe try reaching out to him for some advice?

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:10:45 am »
Epic two-time Sam Adams Longshot winner Rodney Kibzey has had success with a Spanish cedar IPA for years. Most recently at Widmer's Collaborator contest. Maybe try reaching out to him for some advice?

The point I was making earlier is that Spanish cedar (the kind used in cigar boxes) is actually a type of mahogany, not the cedar that smells like cedar.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:46 am »
The point I was making earlier is that Spanish cedar (the kind used in cigar boxes) is actually a type of mahogany, not the cedar that smells like cedar.

And there's no trickery going on by brewers. All Spanish cedar is mahogany. It is sold as Spanish cedar as a trade name because, well obviously it smells like cedar.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:47:38 pm »
My apartment smells of rich mahogany. Just sayin.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 04:53:08 pm »
I'd be wary of using Red Cedar wood in beer. Some of the compounds in its resin are toxic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/174251
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline rjkchicago

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 03:37:55 pm »
I heard my name. :-)  Thanks Anthony.  Yes, Spanish Cedar wood smells amazing, and also works great in beers. DO NOT using cedar from cigar boxes!!! Spanish Cedar wood adds that aroma of a Cedar closest, and also imparts a Spicy Woody Pepper notes to the beer flavor. I've mostly used the wood in Hoppy beers, but could be interesting to try with other styles, just as long as the base style doesn't over power the wood. The wood is added in the secondary, and can also be add in the keg for furthering a bigger wood flavor. Good Luck!

Cheers,
Rodney

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:39 am »
I heard my name. :-)  Thanks Anthony.  Yes, Spanish Cedar wood smells amazing, and also works great in beers. DO NOT using cedar from cigar boxes!!! Spanish Cedar wood adds that aroma of a Cedar closest, and also imparts a Spicy Woody Pepper notes to the beer flavor. I've mostly used the wood in Hoppy beers, but could be interesting to try with other styles, just as long as the base style doesn't over power the wood. The wood is added in the secondary, and can also be add in the keg for furthering a bigger wood flavor. Good Luck!

Cheers,
Rodney

Would you mind sharing where you source your Spanish cedar?
Kyle M.

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:13 am »

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »
Cedrela odorata is a  tropical plant from Central and S. America also known as Spanish Cedar, or Cigar Box Cedar.  Among other things it is used to make boxes to store clothing as it contains resinous compounds that repel insects.

How it would taste in beer or how it would affect humans I have no clue.  But I would advise you to make sure you know exactly what plant material you are dealing with and how it might affect you.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!