Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna/Octoberfest Maltiness  (Read 6713 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Vienna/Octoberfest Maltiness
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 11:00:16 am »
What flavors do you guys get from Best Pils malt? I think it has quite a unique flavor in a helles. I haven't quite been able to describe it.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 12:01:11 pm »
I agree that it is hard to pick the right descriptor with BestMalz pils malt - perhaps "richly malt forward"?  It is my favorite, but I haven't had a sack of it for a while - I have been using Avengard lately, because my LHBS has it readily available by the sack and I like it well enough to use it instead of driving 45 minutes further to get a bigger selection that would include BestMalz.  Free time is the key for me - I don't seem to have enough of it!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
My first attempt at an oktoberfest is currently in the fermenter. If my memory serves correct it was roughly a 4:3:2 ratio of pils to munich to Vienna with the remaining 10% being split between dark munich and some crystal 40. The crystal malt may not be traditional or necessary but I am not too worried about it as long as the result is good.

The malt bill sounds like it will do well.

A bit of advice... take some notes on your yeast type and fermentation temps.   I spent a couple years taking a recipe similar to what you have, and used different yeasts at different temps... I found that I could influence the Malt and hop flavors in the final beer a "suprising amount" just by changing yeast strains.  (Mexican lager is my go-to for this style).    In the end, if you are dialing in this style... from here I would keep fermentation the same and play with recipe... or keep the recipe the same and try a few yeasts.

Enjoy!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 03:02:26 pm »
I agree that it is hard to pick the right descriptor with BestMalz pils malt - perhaps "richly malt forward"?  It is my favorite, but I haven't had a sack of it for a while - I have been using Avengard lately, because my LHBS has it readily available by the sack and I like it well enough to use it instead of driving 45 minutes further to get a bigger selection that would include BestMalz.  Free time is the key for me - I don't seem to have enough of it!
Richly maltly sounds right, but I can't figure out any specific descriptor, like crackery, bready, etc.

I'd like to see if anyone else has experience with Best pils or heidelberg to be able to give it a good descriptor.
Jesse

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 07:27:59 am »
Richly maltly sounds right, but I can't figure out any specific descriptor, like crackery, bready, etc.

I'd like to see if anyone else has experience with Best pils or heidelberg to be able to give it a good descriptor.
A descriptor came to mind last night while drinking my helles. Honey Graham. The beer isn't sweet, it finished at 1.011, but it definitely has a honey graham like character. It's very pleasant. Anyway, let's keep discussing Marzen maltiness, didn't mean to derail the thread...

Denny, a friend of mine also spaced on adding the caramunich to the BCS Oktoberfest. He's all worried it's going to suck. I keep telling him it should be awesome. He used good German malts, don't know what he's worried about.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 07:43:29 am »
Tell him it's only beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 08:05:23 am »
This years Ofest used 50% Vienna, 30% Munich 6L, 4% Caramunich 2, and the balance pilsner malt.  Just finished carbonating, I'm very happy with it.  I too have ben toying with the idea of doing away with the Caramunich altogether in this beer.  I agree that it's not really necessary and I the long boil (90 minutes) gets it to the color I want without it.  The Ofest that I get on tap at Prost is the Hofbrau Ofest and is a light golden color, but still has a nice malty character.  I prefer the slight orange tint of the traditional beer.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:09 am »
Tell him it's only beer!
I know, I try. He's a bit of a worrier. I still think it'll turn out fantastic and it'll be interesting to see how it tastes with and without the caramunich since I've got the version with caramunich lagering/carbonating right now.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:54 am »
The Ofest that I get on tap at Prost is the Hofbrau Ofest and is a light golden color, but still has a nice malty character.  I prefer the slight orange tint of the traditional beer.

+1 Same here.  Which made my last trip to the Hofbrauhaus in Newport KY somewhat disappointing. All the other beers I've had there have been very good to excellent. But I went there last fall specifically for the monthly seasonal - Oktoberfest (go figure). Except that it was evidently brewed more to suit what they perceived as American tastes, because it was overly sweet and caramunich-y, and much more amber than the bottled version which (fresh) is excellent. Pretty disappointing.
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »
I have not done this personally but I know a guy who did.

After Dave posted about this a while back, I brewed a Vienna Centennial SMASH last winter that was great.  Most of it was consumed during maple syrup season, while cooking down sap.  Good stuff!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 07:41:55 pm »
I just bottled my BCS OFest/Marzen tonight. I was amazed at just how light in color it was compared to the Hofbrauhaus version. I have gotten accustomed to recently here just 20 minutes away from that same location in Newport. Used to drink a lot of Spaten OFest when I lived in Cleveland, can't wait to try mine in a couple weeks and then later after further lagering!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)