Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A website that makes brewing filters, Hadn't seen this one before  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Thought I'd post a link to this site. I hadn't run across it before, They are a biodiesel suppl but they also make a bunch of different  stainless steel filters for brewing. Thought everyone might find it interesting and maybe useful.
Cheers.

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: A website that makes brewing filters, Hadn't seen this one before
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:44:18 am »
Some interesting products in there. Particularly the corny keg dry hoppers. Looks like you could get a lot of hops in there.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:17:28 am »
I have two very similar looking corny keg stainless dry hoppers (one 10 inch and one 18 inch) that I bought from Stainless Brewing.  They are awesome.

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap_p_155.html

I also have a 4 inch diameter stainless hop spider that I bought from Utah biodiesel, but I have mixed feelings about its usefulness for that purpose.  Currently, I use it as a filter between the mash tun and the boil kettle, and it works well in that capacity.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:30:52 am »
I have two very similar looking corny keg stainless dry hoppers (one 10 inch and one 18 inch) that I bought from Stainless Brewing.  They are awesome.

I have their 18" and love it. Great for coffee beans, oak chips. etc., too. One of my best brewing purchases in a while. Great product.
Jon H.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 11:49:08 am »

I also have a 4 inch diameter stainless hop spider that I bought from Utah biodiesel, but I have mixed feelings about its usefulness for that purpose.  Currently, I use it as a filter between the mash tun and the boil kettle, and it works well in that capacity.

Looks awesome, just bought one!

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:41:53 pm »
So this would just be used for extracting the hops and leaving less residue in the beer?
Drink your own beer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »
So this would just be used for extracting the hops and leaving less residue in the beer?

Yeah, for physically separating hops from beer, but more. As anyone who brews dry hopped beers knows, delicate hop aromas can have their aromatic life dramatically shortened by sloppy splashing into your keg, bottling bucket, etc. -  in short, by contact with air .  My approach is that, by waiting until the beer clears after primary (2-3 weeks), then racking to a purged keg before adding this dry hop canister, I have given the dry hops a basically CO2-rich environment to give off their amazing aromas - with no escape, and with no need to rack again. I carb IPAs and APAs @ room temp for a week while I wait for the dry hopped goodness to dissolve and make friendly, then chill and enjoy.

EDIT  -  As I said before, the canister also doubles as a vessel for coffee beans, cocoa nibs, fruit, oak chips/cubes, etc. I add any of these flavorings into the canister, into the keg, tasting regularly (of course !), and then I can pull the canister when the flavor is exactly where I want it. No guesswork.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:08:56 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 06:22:28 am »
Great site.  Thanks for posting.  May have to spend some money.... :)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:40:25 am »
Been using these for the past year.  No more hop bags or loose hops in the kettle. They are the best for hop and spice additions. I slip two into my kettle.  One for FWH and the second for any later hop pellets or whole hops or spice additions.  I have use them when I add piloncillo sugars.  Instead of bashing the cones into small chunks, I pitch the cone into the basket and it quickly dissolves.  No mess.  The seams are welded and they have stood the test of hard use.  I recommend them highly.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline ZooBeeBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:48:29 pm »
Looks like they make a nice plate chiller too. anyone used this one? Half the price of the other ones rive seen in brew stores and made in the USA I presume?
zoo