Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mill Speed  (Read 4214 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Grain Mill Speed
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:29:34 pm »
I motorized my Barley Crusher a couple of years back.  It's worked well, but I'm wondering if the motor is moving too slow.  I think the RPMs are between 60-75 the last time that I checked it.  Is this too slow?  I had a couple of stuck recirculations (RIMS) the last few times I brewed.  Maybe it's just the gap?  Before I widen my gap on my mill, I thought I would ask about what people thought about the mill speed.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Grain Mill Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:15:07 pm »
I can't imagine too slow would hurt anything. But mine runs about 250-300 rpm I think.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:19:24 pm »
I think its something else. It would seem weird that the gap would get narrower all on its own. What else has changed?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:28:31 am »
I'm not an engineer but it's my understanding that if the mill is running too fast it will actually pulverize the grain more than at a slower speed, perhaps someone can verify this for me as well.

I use a drill and IME if I run it too fast I get a finer crush than at its slower speed so I suppose that confirms what I stated but it's by no means scientific
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:08 am »
My mill goes really slowly because of the gearing ratio I set up with the motor.  It probably goes more slowly than hand cranking and I've never had an issue with efficiency or sticking mash because of that.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:57:55 am »
The BC page says you can go 500 RPM, but slower should not matter since you can hand crank it. As far as your system and the gap that will be up to you to decide what does and does not work.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:08 am »
I motorized my Barley Crusher a couple of years back.  It's worked well, but I'm wondering if the motor is moving too slow.  I think the RPMs are between 60-75 the last time that I checked it.  Is this too slow?  I had a couple of stuck recirculations (RIMS) the last few times I brewed.  Maybe it's just the gap?  Before I widen my gap on my mill, I thought I would ask about what people thought about the mill speed.

IIRC, the recommended speed for most mills is around 300 RPM.  Also, I've been told that the faster the rollers spin, the more the shear angle is increased and the finer crush you get.  And stuck runoffs are at least as dependent on your lauter design as the crush.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »
Thanks guys for the feedback.  Going to dial back on the gap for the next go round.  Using a Sanke Keg with a false bottom to mash in (keeps grain off the bottom as I direct fire).  I was initially worried that it was the return manifold that I was using (copper soldered together), but when I switched to a silicone hose lying on top of the grain bed I still had stuck recirculations. 

I'll probably take a belt and suspenders approach and throw in some rice hulls for good measure. 

Thanks again.

Matt