Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Artificial Fruit Flovoring  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
Artificial Fruit Flovoring
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:14:58 pm »
How many use it? Better or worse than real fruit. I know, easier...but what about results for yo?

I used Peach flavoring in a 4.5 gallon kegging. It said to use 4-6 ounces for 5 gallons,...so I used only about 2 thirds. And it still came out tasting very peachy. It's good, mind you, but strong. The Peach Wheat Ale itself is 6.1%.

The weird thing though?......it made my urine smell like peaches, I kid you not! Anyone else have a similar experience, or am I just the lucky one! HAHA! ;)

Anyway, just wondering.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Artificial Fruit Flovoring
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »
IMO worse........way worse. I never made a fruit beer until I met my wife. Since then a few per year, to pay back her acceptance of my time and $$ intensive hobby/obsession. Some of the flavorings are better/worse than others - none of them approach the quality of a real fruit beer. I remember the Brewer's Best flavorings as especially s!#**y. OTOH a fruity beer made with real fruit or good fruit purees are expensive. That's the tradeoff I guess. I make really good fruit beers with good fruit purees and no flavorings. Can't speak to the 'peachy pee' though, bro.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:32:03 pm »
IMO worse........way worse. I never made a fruit beer until I met my wife. Since then a few per year, to pay back her acceptance of my time and $$ intensive hobby/obsession. Some of the flavorings are better/worse than others - none of them approach the quality of a real fruit beer. I remember the Brewer's Best flavorings as especially s!#**y. OTOH a fruity beer made with real fruit or good fruit purees are expensive. That's the tradeoff I guess. I make really good fruit beers with good fruit purees and no flavorings. Can't speak to the 'peachy pee' though, bro.  ;D

I hear ya...figured I'd give it a try....and OH NO! It is Brewers Best! Phooey!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:24:54 am »
Recently I was walking down the grocery store isle and grabbed  a box of Jello Peach gelatin with the thought of putting it in a keg of beer but I sobered up by the time I got home.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:02 am »
Sometimes they're better, sometimes they're not.  It all depends on which ones you use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Artificial Fruit Flovoring
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:03:35 am »
I use 3.5 oz of peach extract in my clone Wheach and everyone loves it, the 3.5oz provides just enough sense of peach without going overboard.

Edit, no I've never asked any of ladies that drink it to smell their pee:O
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:17 am »
I like to use the fruit flavorings in addition to real fruit.  If the beer falls a little short of my expectation of fruit flavor, I will add a small addition of the artificial fruit flavor to pump it up.  Raspberry wheat is a good example - seems like no matter how much raspberries I add it never quite hits the mark.  Add a touch of the fruit flavorings, perhaps a bit of sweetener, and it improves the taste.  I never use artificial fruit flavorings by itself.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:25:23 am »
I use the flavor extracts from www.olivenation.com.  I used strawberry in a blonde, and cherry for a couple ciders.  I also have chocolate and cinnamon that I haven't tried yet.  They make some high quality extracts and more potent than the brewer's best stuff so go easy.  I think I use 85ml of the strawberry in a 5 gallon batch...nice strawberry flavor without being overpowering.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:36:00 am »
Thanks, y'all..... I just think I put too much in. I mean, it's good and the wife likes it, but I think it is too peachy and covers up the hops characteristics too much.

I still have an apricot flavoring, but will go easy on it. Maybe in my next Wheat?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:38:44 am »
I use the flavor extracts from www.olivenation.com.  I used strawberry in a blonde, and cherry for a couple ciders.  I also have chocolate and cinnamon that I haven't tried yet.  They make some high quality extracts and more potent than the brewer's best stuff so go easy.  I think I use 85ml of the strawberry in a 5 gallon batch...nice strawberry flavor without being overpowering.

I may look into those, to supplement the real fruit I use. I used to use the Brewer's Best along with real fruit until I ran into a couple of theirs that I hated. These sound quite a bit better. Thanks !
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 08:50:28 am »
Thanks, y'all..... I just think I put too much in. I mean, it's good and the wife likes it, but I think it is too peachy and covers up the hops characteristics too much.

I still have an apricot flavoring, but will go easy on it. Maybe in my next Wheat?

To determine how much to use, pour 4 samples of the beer, 2-4 oz. each.  Dose each with a different, measured amount of extract.  Taste and decide which you like best.  Then scale that amount of extract up to the size of your batch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 10:10:57 pm »

To determine how much to use, pour 4 samples of the beer, 2-4 oz. each.  Dose each with a different, measured amount of extract.  Taste and decide which you like best.  Then scale that amount of extract up to the size of your batch.

When you do this, especially if you're going to use concentrated extracts from somewhere like OliveNation, you will have much better results if you make a serial dilution with some of the extract.