Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leftover competition entries  (Read 2475 times)

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
Leftover competition entries
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »
My club recently hosted a competition with about 600 entries. That's 1800 bottles of beer. A high percentage do not make second round or BOS, and are left over after the competition. This year we very reluctantly put most in the host hotel dumpster. In the past, club officers have stored them at home and periodically offered them as club meeting raffle prizes, but it became almost a penalty as most of the beer, not a winner and stored poorly, was not worth a raffle ticket (other than the label-free bottles). I have "heard" of clubs that take leftover beer and distill it. Not really an option for us (and illegal). We offer the beer on Sunday morning (post-banquet) for anyone who wants it, but cleanup needs to occur before most revelers are remotely awake. Looking for other options! What do you all do with post-competition leftover beer entries???

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Leftover competition entries
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:09:38 pm »
You can use the beer for BJCP judge training and BJCP exams.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:46:09 am »
Do what they do at Hogtown every year: bring all the leftover beer to the Sunday breakfast and let people pick out what they want.  I always get a case, if not for the beer, for the clean, label-free bottles.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:59:30 am »
Many events give away as many as anyone wants at the end of judging each day to the judges. 
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:18:04 am »
1) Do a two bottle comp. That'll save you 600 bottles of beer.

2) If you have enough volunteers, have them sort the extra beers by keeping 30+ scores and dumping the 29 and belows. We have a crew that dumps bottles and stacks them for other people to take home.

3) Those 30+ beers get taken to a mystery beer party where the comp crew drinks a good portion of them. The rest are dumped and we move on.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:51:09 am »
Find a list of 2nd and 3rd place entries. Set those aside for yourself, others who helped, your club, that raffle, etc. Give away the rest by the case to anyone who wants free beer.

I use leftover beer to cook or as liquid in my smoker. For cooking I open and smell. Use it if I like the smell, dump it if I don't.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 01:30:51 pm »
2) If you have enough volunteers, have them sort the extra beers by keeping 30+ scores and dumping the 29 and belows. We have a crew that dumps bottles and stacks them for other people to take home.

We did this for STL Microfest, but I'd like to bump it up to 35 next year. A lot less to sort thru before finding that 40 pointer  8).

Tasting the leftovers was one of my favorite parts of the Philly NHC, and I was disappointed that we didn't get the opportunity in GR. Fantastic learning experience for judges.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 04:29:06 pm »

Tasting the leftovers was one of my favorite parts of the Philly NHC, and I was disappointed that we didn't get the opportunity in GR. Fantastic learning experience for judges.
[/quote]

I agree!  It was very cool when they brought those bottles out for all to pick through.  The sours went real fast!  Had some good and some not so good....