Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time cider maker.  (Read 6891 times)

Offline ken.hugen

• 1st Kit
Re: First time cider maker.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:19 pm »
Been out of town for two weeks and just got home. My wife didn't like the smell in the kitchen, so the wine went in our garage 100+ degrees! Two weeks! I racked the wine and gravity is 1.000. Taste ok considering. The air lock had stopped bubbling. One batch was cloudy, the other fairly clear. Do I just keep racking every two weeks then bottle and age it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 06:16:45 am »
Gosh, at 100 degrees, that's one way to know for sure that fermentation is 100% complete!  At that temperature, as soon as it goes clear, it is ready to bottle.  Enjoy!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ken.hugen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 11:07:05 am »
Crazy question if you don't mind........my fruity batch has a lot in in. Cloudy, hazy, etc. I just read about gelatin finishing agents. Since I started out wanting a fruity cider, but have ended with a dry cloudy wine, what if I finish with a flavored gelatin, cherry maybe. Would it leave a fruity finish and clear it up? Then could I add water to reduce alcohol to 7%, add sweetener and prime at bottling to get a cider? I hope I'm not kicked off the site for crazy questions..............I sure enjoy learning about the science and reactive nature about brewing and fermenting!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »
Interesting idea.  I think it will clear the cider.  My main concern is that the fruit flavors in Jello are probably artificial, so it will result in an artificial fruit flavor.  If that doesn't bother you, then it might be worth a try!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 08:58:36 am »
You don't need much gelatin for fining, so I bet the flavor addition will be subtle and perhaps completely unnoticeable. You might get some color though and I'd say if your game to try it - let us know how it works out.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ken.hugen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 09:57:45 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll be home this weekend and give it a try.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »
While we are talking cider is it better to age cold or at room temp to get cider drinkable faster? I put a keg of cider in the fridge to cold crash and just left it there to age. leave it or pull it? it is not even a month old but I want to rack, sweeten and drink ASAP. 
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »
While we are talking cider is it better to age cold or at room temp to get cider drinkable faster? I put a keg of cider in the fridge to cold crash and just left it there to age. leave it or pull it? it is not even a month old but I want to rack, sweeten and drink ASAP.

I suppose it depends on just how "not ready" it is.  How'd it taste? 
"Drinkable" generally happens quite quickly. I aim a little higher and do everything low and slow when it comes to cider. 

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »

I suppose it depends on just how "not ready" it is.  How'd it taste? 
"Drinkable" generally happens quite quickly. I aim a little higher and do everything low and slow when it comes to cider.

Well I havent tasted it in about a week but it was not good then. I wont be have time to rack to a fresh keg and sweeten for a week or so I want to make the best use of the time I have between now and then.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 08:19:34 am »
If not good = sulfury, then it needs some aging. I would suspect that cold aging will preserve those flavors.  If not good = just bland and flavorless, it needs some sugar and probably acid too, but may be drinkable now after adjustment. There was a great presentation on post-recipe adjustment at NHC and if you're an AHA member you can access the recording (if they recorded it). Basically, take a small glass and add measured amounts of sugar, acid, and maybe fresh juice to taste. Then do math and add the same proportions to the whole batch.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 08:40:00 am »
If not good = sulfury, then it needs some aging. I would suspect that cold aging will preserve those flavors.  If not good = just bland and flavorless, it needs some sugar and probably acid too, but may be drinkable now after adjustment. There was a great presentation on post-recipe adjustment at NHC and if you're an AHA member you can access the recording (if they recorded it). Basically, take a small glass and add measured amounts of sugar, acid, and maybe fresh juice to taste. Then do math and add the same proportions to the whole batch.

+1.  That's what I do. Takes out the guesswork on back adjustment.
Jon H.

Offline ken.hugen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:42 am »
When I returned home in mid August, the cider/wine had cleared remarkably! I sampled it and liked it as wine. So I have just left it since. There is about 1/4" of sediment in the bottom. I put it in a cupboard out of the light for now. I probably only have 4 bottles worth between the two batches. Should I bottle and cork it? Or leave it in the large class jars? There is a little more surface area in the jars.

Offline ken.hugen

• 1st Kit
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 12:11:33 am »
So needless to say, I have a very good (but expensive) apple plumb wine! I have had 4 friends sample and were impressed with it! Thanks for the sounding board here, it helped me out.