Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging wine / mead  (Read 4664 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Kegging wine / mead
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:02:33 am »
Has anyone kegged wine and/or still mead, and pushed with straight nitrogen. I'm toying with the idea of having white wine on tap for SWMBO. I've read that more wine bars are doing this. I already have CO2 and Blend tanks, and I have more regulators. I was tempted to swap out the Blend tank for N2 then use a blender to have CO2, Blend and N2 available but in reality its probably just cheaper easier to add a third tank (I have space and a tank to switch).

Or should I just bottle it in 12oz beer bottles and keep some in the fridge?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Kegging wine / mead
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:34:17 am »
Can't you use low pressure to dispense the wine using a gas blend?  Still wine typically has high, but subatmospheric levels of CO2. 

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:30 am »
Can't you use low pressure to dispense the wine using a gas blend?  Still wine typically has high, but subatmospheric levels of CO2.

I could but I'd be concerned about the C02 dissolving over time. You also assume I properly degass the wine to begin with  :-\

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:13:26 am »
My lhbs does this and dispenses with low pressure co2. Use the shortest possible serving line and the lowest pressure that will push it through. Some will dissolve in but at a few psi it will equalize at very low volumes. Of course if you want to, nitrogen will work as well.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:27 am »
Maybe I'm over thinking this, and a couple of psi of Beer blend through 2' of hose shouldn't give me much heartache.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:32:48 am »
All the places that have wine on tap around here use nitrogen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:56:48 am »

and back to my original thinking lol

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 12:09:18 pm »
Blends are also used with wine.  Private Preserve, a gas for purging the headspace of wine bottles, contains a "custom blend of pure nitrogen (N2), carbon dioxide (CO2) and argon (AR)." One of the drawbacks of vacuum preserving wine is that CO2 is removed stripping out aromas. 

http://www.amazon.com/Enthusiast-Private-Preserve-Preservation-Spray/dp/B0000DCS18

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
CO2 levels in white wine
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 01:00:33 pm »
http://www.winewisdom.com/articles/techie/role-of-carbon-dioxide-in-still-wines/

Based on the linked article, the desired amount of CO2 in white wine varies based on variety, but can be pretty high.  Using blended gas seems like a better way to get to or to maintain the desired CO2 level than using nitrogen.  Then and again I don't make wine.

I think that applying what wine bars do with bottles of wine to what you do with homemade kegged wine makes as much sense as home brewers following what commercial brewers do.  I'm assuming you are talking about kegging.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »

and back to my original thinking lol
Well if I had to go get a canister, I'd get nitrogen. I'm just saying if I had CO2 or blend on hand, I'd try that first.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 01:55:43 pm »
Someone gave me one of these jobs: http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/preservation/napa7993.shtml?CAWELAID=320012430000101153&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=320012430000188528&cadevice=c&gclid=CNPuhdrQ-sACFQGqaQodx1cAEw

It comes with a nitrogen canister.  I have never used it, but if I were to dispense wine I would use nitrogen.

FWIW, I believe that a nitro regulator has different threading though I may be incorrect.  Faced with those costs, maybe beer mix isn't a bad thing to try.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »
Great input thanks. I have CO2 and Beer Mix already. The nitrogen tanks share the same threading as beer mix. Nitrogen / beer mix regulators also have to go to 3000 psi or more since its a tryue compressed gas not a liquid.

From a wine dispensing perspective argon is best; it's inert, doesnt dissolve, and is denser than air so it displaces any residual oxygen with an Ar blanket on the liquid surface. Nitrogen is a close second best save for the density. CO2 is denser so it blankets but it dissolves.  Beer mix at low pressure would address the density issue of nitrogen, but over time the CO2 will dissolve. I've seen suggestion of initial purging with beer mix or CO2, then pushing with nitrogen after that, since argon is rather spendy.

I have all the hardware for nitrogen, it's just a question of whether it's worth the effort and cost of a third gas cylinder, or if I'm just getting carried away and forgetting that I'm just a lowly homebrewer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 02:23:50 pm »
The nitrogen tanks share the same threading as beer mix. Nitrogen / beer mix regulators also have to go to 3000 psi or more since its a tryue compressed gas not a liquid.

I'm pretty sure I have a tank marked "beer mix" that has standard threading. Not certain, but pretty sure.  I have always heard that beer mix requires a different regulator, so maybe the marking on the tank is just incorrect.

I've never checked the little nitro cylinder.  I have no intentions of ever using the wine dispenser and need to figure out how to get rid of it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton