Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Cider  (Read 4889 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: First Cider
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 10:09:01 am »
I rack mine often purposely to slow fermentation and to retain sweetness.  Otherwise my ciders would all finish below 0.998 and that is not the preference of myself and probably most other novice cider makers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline crynski

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 12:05:26 am »
I am planning a batch of cider when my first beer is out of the bucket, so this is a good educational thread. Also Franx is that an old gray boxer I see?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 04:37:09 am »
Yes crynski, she was 11.5 years old when we had to put her down in November 2012. One of the toughest things I have ever had to do. We have now adopted this 50/50(?) Pit Bull/Boxer

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 06:41:08 am »
wow, great looking dog.  JACKED shoulders and legs!!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 08:29:59 am »
Yes she pulls like a horse when out walking! Great disposition though and loves all the attention she gets when we have her out and about

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:32 am »

wow, great looking dog.  JACKED shoulders and legs!!
Thank you, we were very happy to find her

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 12:30:03 pm »
I would either rack and stabilize to preserve sweetness or leave it on the yeast until terminal gravity is reached. Just like beer, racking cider that isn't finished fermenting is asking for stressed yeast, slow finish, and/or bottle bombs. My cider is often in primary for 6 weeks.
What do I need to do to stabilize before bottling? It has been at 1.015 for readings over 3 weeks now. I think its done. If I plan to bottle, then refrigerate, is stabilizing even necessary. I have no intention of aging this first cider. So again, any thoughts from the crowd?
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 01:31:47 pm »
I would either rack and stabilize to preserve sweetness or leave it on the yeast until terminal gravity is reached. Just like beer, racking cider that isn't finished fermenting is asking for stressed yeast, slow finish, and/or bottle bombs. My cider is often in primary for 6 weeks.
What do I need to do to stabilize before bottling? It has been at 1.015 for readings over 3 weeks now. I think its done. If I plan to bottle, then refrigerate, is stabilizing even necessary. I have no intention of aging this first cider. So again, any thoughts from the crowd?

Gotta be honest - I've never seen a cider finish that high, or have that appearance. So I would absolutely stabilize, especially if you bottle. Crush a Campden tablet/gallon along with using 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate/gallon - add this to a cup or two of your cider and mix to dissolve. Then you can gently stir into your cider. Wait a couple days and then package. No backsweetening needed here.
Jon H.