Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PNW American Sour  (Read 6921 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
PNW American Sour
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:07 pm »
Just started the boil. I'm shooting for something similarish to a Berliner Weiss but ale, and bit more color, and PNW character.

6# GW Munich 10L
5# GW Washington Select
Mashed at 145°

No bittering hops
2oz Willamette at 10 min

I did a 2L starter of lacto, ran it for a week. Decant and pitch at 85°. Run that for a week then chill to 65° and pitch a starter of 1332 NW Ale.

I'm looking forward to the results.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: PNW American Sour
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 01:17:03 pm »
Be patient Jim.  You will start noticing the aroma first, but it takes a while (3 months minimum in my experience) before you will detect any real tartness in the beer.  Good Luck!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »
Cool. I guess in the new Bjcp guidelines this would be a 28B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:21:08 pm »
Be patient Jim.  You will start noticing the aroma first, but it takes a while (3 months minimum in my experience) before you will detect any real tartness in the beer.  Good Luck!

I might bottle condition this one. Maybe if it's any good I'll enter it next spring.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:38:56 pm »

Cascadian Sour Ale?  ::)

Pitching a healthy amount of Wyeast 5335 without yeast, I've gotten berliner-levels of acidity in 10 days or so. It can also take several weeks/months. Depends on hop charge, starter size/health and temperature. Jim's got the right idea w/ a decent starter and keepin' her warm. I would think 2 oz of hops would really slow lacto down, though. If you want hop character, dry hop.

You could start a bit higher (100F) because the temp will fall off little by little. Tasting should tell you when its ready to cool/pitch yeast.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 01:50:26 pm »

Cascadian Sour Ale?  ::)

Pitching a healthy amount of Wyeast 5335 without yeast, I've gotten berliner-levels of acidity in 10 days or so. It can also take several weeks/months. Depends on hop charge, starter size/health and temperature. Jim's got the right idea w/ a decent starter and keepin' her warm. I would think 2 oz of hops would really slow lacto down, though. If you want hop character, dry hop.

You could start a bit higher (100F) because the temp will fall off little by little. Tasting should tell you when its ready to cool/pitch yeast.

I have a dual stage freezer which is at 85° right now with only 60° outdoor temps. So it should stay at 85° for the full seven days.

I'll have about 10 IBU. I was hoping that wouldn't inhibit too much
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:52:37 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:41 am »
Don't be afraid to push that warmer. I would target 100-110F.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:46 am »
Ive been keeping an eye on it. Its holding 85 in the day time, drops a couple by early morning,  so looks like im at my limit. Maybe an extra heat pad dropped in would help. Ill go do that. Thanks for giving me the idea!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:28:39 am »
Done. I set the controller for 95 and tossed in a second heat pad that will just run all the time. I'll check it when I get home from work a 10pm and see where its at.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 05:50:54 pm »
Stopped by to check. The beer is up to 85 now. So I dialed my cold side up to 100 to keep the freezer from defeating my extra efforts. And I left the hot side at 95 . Oooh this should be a dandy

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:08:58 am »
Yeah, I would expect the lacto to start working immediately at that temperature and get some souring within a week. Did you pitch the yeast at the same time?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:53:15 am »
Yeah, I would expect the lacto to start working immediately at that temperature and get some souring within a week. Did you pitch the yeast at the same time?

Nope, I did a 2L starter for the lacto for a week. Decant and pitch. I'll be doing a starter for my 1332 and probably pitch that sunday.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:33 am »
Which version of lacto did you use? I used the wyeast special release 5223 and it doesn't require any yeast.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:19:28 am »
I used 5335. Just checked my freezer controller and the extra heat pad did the trick. The beer is at 94º at 9am, so yee haw

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 10:44:19 am »
Pitched my 1332 yesterday. It had been at 95º for 8 days then chilled to 65. I oxygenated because I figured with that heat it would have zero O2. Checked it this morning and looks like some krausen but no airlock activity yet. I guess my theme for this week is patience