Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PNW American Sour  (Read 6899 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: PNW American Sour
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 09:00:59 am »
WY 5335 lacto strain does NOT produce alcohol and is a moderate lactic acid producer.  Oxygen can slow down its growth rate and impede lactic acid production.  This strain produces lactic acid and carbon dioxide but no alcohol, unfortunately.  That was why I was psyched when they release their latest pc L. Brevis strain which does produce alcohol.

this is good to know. I have been thinking of brewing some non-alcoholic 'soda' for friends and relatives who don't dig the booze but I wanted sparkle too.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 09:42:41 am »
WY 5335 lacto strain does NOT produce alcohol and is a moderate lactic acid producer.  Oxygen can slow down its growth rate and impede lactic acid production.  This strain produces lactic acid and carbon dioxide but no alcohol, unfortunately.  That was why I was psyched when they release their latest pc L. Brevis strain which does produce alcohol.

Are you sure it doesn't produce alcohol? I know that it is not supposed to produce alcohol, but I have my own experience with it.

I have used it before in a 1.036 O.G. Berliner Weisse. It took it down to 1.016 in about 5 days and then I pitched the yeast. That went down to 1.005. If the Lacto didn't produce alcohol then the beer should have had only 1.4% abv, assuming the yeast ate all the sugar that was left over. This beer was definitely light, but it seemed to have more alcohol in it than 1.4%

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:44 am »

Are you sure it doesn't produce alcohol? I know that it is not supposed to produce alcohol, but I have my own experience with it.

I have used it before in a 1.036 O.G. Berliner Weisse. It took it down to 1.016 in about 5 days and then I pitched the yeast. That went down to 1.005. If the Lacto didn't produce alcohol then the beer should have had only 1.4% abv, assuming the yeast ate all the sugar that was left over. This beer was definitely light, but it seemed to have more alcohol in it than 1.4%

How do you mean it seemed to be have more than 1.4%? taste? Effect? Generally I don't really taste any alcohol in a beer much under 5-6%. a strong lactic component can have a big taste impact though.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 10:43:26 am »

How do you mean it seemed to be have more than 1.4%? taste? Effect? Generally I don't really taste any alcohol in a beer much under 5-6%. a strong lactic component can have a big taste impact though.

Yeah, I am referring to the effect of the alcohol. I could have a couple of pints and it felt like I had a couple of pints of a low alcohol beer, but not 1.4% low. I guess it could have been in my head, though.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:41 pm »

Yeah, I am referring to the effect of the alcohol. I could have a couple of pints and it felt like I had a couple of pints of a low alcohol beer, but not 1.4% low. I guess it could have been in my head, though.

The next time I do a 5335 only I will give the fermentor a breath test. If its all zeros then 5335 doesn't make alc. I took a sample off a normal 5% beer in the fermentor once and it was so high I thought it would mess up my pbt. So it would be sensitive enough to detect even tiny fractions of alc.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 04:11:40 pm »
Update:

I piched brett lambicus no starter on october 8 or 9. I think gravity was about 1.012 at that point. Its been sitting at 65º along side a Scottish. Gravity today is about 1.006, its got a little brett dusty pelical, its crystal clear and effervescent.  Its got a brett lambicus "cherry pie-farmhouse" nose. It starts sweet but immediately goes to the cherry pie farmhouse thing then the lactic kicks in and hits the saliva gland trigger. Finishes bone dry. This ought to be a dandy. I didn't get and acetic either. I bumped it to 70º because my Scottish is about 2 plato from done. I'll let them go another ten days and see what I have. I'll need to get 5 gallons worth of champagne bottles and a corker this weekend.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 07:41:10 am »
looks tasty. I was just thinking last night that it's time to bottle my cherry solera project round two.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:01 am »
I'll need to get 5 gallons worth of champagne bottles and a corker this weekend.

Many of the homebrew shops carry champagne style bottles that accept regular 26mm caps. Don't be afraid to use those over buying a corker (unless you want the corker). I have bottles of brett beer that are hardcore gushers that have been in those bottles for 3.5 years and the caps are just fine.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 04:07:13 pm »
Yeah Jim,

No stir plate with the 5335 as this will slow down its growth rate.  The information I provided on this strain was from an email transaction with Wyeast I read on another trusted forum.  The WL lacto strain DOES produce alcohol and maybe Wyeast will continue to put out their new Brevis strain if people b**** enough to them...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 04:51:51 pm »
I'll need to get 5 gallons worth of champagne bottles and a corker this weekend.

Many of the homebrew shops carry champagne style bottles that accept regular 26mm caps. Don't be afraid to use those over buying a corker (unless you want the corker). I have bottles of brett beer that are hardcore gushers that have been in those bottles for 3.5 years and the caps are just fine.

Ya, dave Logsdon uses them at Logsdon Farmhouse and dips them in bee's wax like some wine makers use regular sealing wax. I'll have to consider the caps instead of cork n cage.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 04:55:14 pm »
Yeah Jim,

No stir plate with the 5335 as this will slow down its growth rate.  The information I provided on this strain was from an email transaction with Wyeast I read on another trusted forum.  The WL lacto strain DOES produce alcohol and maybe Wyeast will continue to put out their new Brevis strain if people b**** enough to them...

Next time I will do a non stir starter for the lacto. Im also unconvinced that the sac yeast brought much to the party. I'd probably just do a 10 day lacto rest at 95º drop it to 65 and pitch bret lambicus.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 02:37:31 pm »
Well I'm at terminal gravity 1.006 and the flavor is amazing so I'm going to bottle condition tomorrow. I hate bottling but this one deserves it.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 08:38:17 am »
Unless you plan on drinking all of those in the next few weeks I would hold off on bottling at 1.006. Brett could get that beer down to 1.002 or so which would give you some extremely carbonated beer. Not bottle bombs in the champagne bottles but really foamy stuff.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 05:28:35 pm »
Ya I've heard that. Its a concern. It was dropping fairly steady with brett but held 1.006 for over a week. But to be safe I am priming for 2 volumes and will cold store after a couple months. That way even if it goes to zero I would be at 4 volumes, which is pretty spritzy but should not grenade.  Great point though, thanks.

Edit adding not, should not grenade
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:11:01 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 09:18:23 am »
Ya I've heard that. Its a concern. It was dropping fairly steady with brett but held 1.006 for over a week. But to be safe I am priming for 2 volumes and will cold store after a couple months. That way even if it goes to zero I would be at 4 volumes, which is pretty spritzy but should grenade.  Great point though, thanks.

Yeah, but if it doesn't drop any further then you will only be at 2 volumes which is really low for a beer of this style. I would shoot for closer to 3 volumes and then if you notice that it is getting more carbonated then stick them in the fridge.