Author Topic: Raspberry Ale  (Read 1267 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Raspberry Ale
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
On deck for me is a raspberry ale. I'm going to use a grist along the lines of my pale ale bill. 90% two row, 5% Munich, and 5% C60. The raspberries will be added in the secondary. I'm thinking about adding lactose to the boil to add a nice creaminess to accent the raspberries. I'm not sure if this is a great idea or not, but if it is, how much lactose would be appropriate?
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Raspberry Ale
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:01:40 PM »
I've used between a 1/2 lb and 1 lb for milk stout, and I like 1 lb best for that style, Frank. Anywhere in that range would work, but keep in mind at 1lb especially that you'll finish fairly high, easily 1.020-ish. That might leave some sweetness to balance the tartness from the berries.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:12 PM »
I've used between a 1/2 lb and 1 lb for milk stout, and I like 1 lb best for that style, Frank. Anywhere in that range would work, but keep in mind at 1lb especially that you'll finish fairly high, easily 1.020-ish. That might leave some sweetness to balance the tartness from the berries.

Thanks, Jon. I've not heard or read about anybody using lactose in anything other than a stout, so I wasn't sure. I think I'm going to mash in the 151-152 range to make sure what's fermentable gets fermented. I may add a half pound of flaked oats to enhance a creamy mouthfeel as well. I think I have about 6 lb (7 quarts) of raspberries frozen for this brew. This is something new for me. It will be on tap at Christmas, so I atleast want it drinkable haha.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
I've never been a huge fan of lactose in beer, but I have a hard time picturing it in a pale beer. To me, it needs some roast malt for balance. But again, that's just my palate - YMMV.

If it were me I'd use more crystal malt in place of that lactose; maybe something dark like C-120 or Special B to give a little more body along with some dark fruit sweetness to support the raspberries.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
I've never been a huge fan of lactose in beer, but I have a hard time picturing it in a pale beer. To me, it needs some roast malt for balance. But again, that's just my palate - YMMV.

If it were me I'd use more crystal malt in place of that lactose; maybe something dark like C-120 or Special B to give a little more body along with some dark fruit sweetness to support the raspberries.

I have a hard time picturing it too, but I think it's because it's not done hardly at all. Think of a raspberry creamsicle. I guess that might help explain where I want to go. I'm not really wanting to add any caramel or toffee flavors to it through malts.
Frank

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
Creamsicle = vanilla

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »
Here's my stab at a recipe...

Batch = 5.5
OG = 1.055
60 minute mash @ 152 (Strike at 167)

85% Two Row = 9 lb 8 oz
5% Munich = 10 oz
5% Caramel/Crystal 60L = 9.5 oz
5% Flaked Oats = 10 oz

FW = 8 oz lactose
60 min = ½ oz Warrior
20 min = 1 oz Willamette

WLP 001 Cali Ale (Started)

Rack onto 5.5 lb fresh, froze, and thawed raspberries
Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
Here's my stab at a recipe...

Batch = 5.5
OG = 1.055
60 minute mash @ 152 (Strike at 167)

85% Two Row = 9 lb 8 oz
5% Munich = 10 oz
5% Caramel/Crystal 60L = 9.5 oz
5% Flaked Oats = 10 oz

FW = 8 oz lactose
60 min = ½ oz Warrior
20 min = 1 oz Willamette

WLP 001 Cali Ale (Started)

Rack onto 5.5 lb fresh, froze, and thawed raspberries
Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

You gotta let us know how it comes out, man. I've only used the lactose in sweet/milk stout, so that's my only baseline to judge in using it. I honestly think that the raspberries are so strong and acidic they'll easily be the dominant ingredient - I'm just curious to see what character (if any) you're able to pick up from the lactose. Good luck !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »
I just kegged this today. I overshot my target OG of 1.055 and hit 1.060. It also finished dryer than I expected at 1.012. It's certainly raspberry-y tasting out of the hydrometer sample. Seems similar to that Founder's raspberry ale. It'll be interesting how it tastes when I tap it in a few weeks. If anything, it's pretty lol.

Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:33:28 AM »
.5 lb lactose, Frank ?
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 12:37:01 AM »
.5 lb lactose, Frank ?

Correct... Which wasn't calculated into my target OG now that I think of it, so that answers the 1.060.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:42:10 AM »
.5 lb lactose, Frank ?

Correct... Which wasn't calculated into my target OG now that I think of it, so that answers the 1.060.

Looks good so far !
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
Man that sounds and looks good. Ill have to give this a try. Im not sure how to do this via BIAB but ill figure it out.
Jimmykx250

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
Man that sounds and looks good. Ill have to give this a try. Im not sure how to do this via BIAB but ill figure it out.

I've never done BIAB. But I'll give you this advice... With any fruit you add to the secondary, bag it up in a paint strainer bag. I had to use a five gallon bag for this one. It will save you from a huge headache later.

Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »
I just realized that I forgot the vanilla on this. Owell.
Frank