Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fridge wont stay cold ?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
fridge wont stay cold ?
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:43:14 pm »
I bought a new danby 4.4 fridge for kegerator (tower). Drilled hole in top for beer lines and in side for co2. Sealed them pretty good. Now the fridge wont go below 55. It worked fine for a couple weeks before i put holes in it. Do u think there is something wrong with the fridge? Or can it be some sorta pressure problem if i didnt seal holes good enough? All coolant lines are at the back.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
Re: fridge wont stay cold ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:55:55 pm »
Never mind i figured it out. The spray insulation i used ob the hole in the side spread around to the coolant lines at the back. Guess it dont like that. Now i gotta take fridge apart.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »
that's better than my first thought which is that you drilled through the chiller lines.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 08:02:35 am »
that's better than my first thought which is that you drilled through the chiller lines.

Sunday morning I moved the fridge outside to work on it, &, you got it right. I managed to drill the 1 1/4" holes on both the top and the side through the wiring harness for the light & temp control. The light switch was taped down after I removed the door moulding but before drilling the holes so I didn't notice there was no light. So the fridge was probably running at lowest setting. The holes were so neat through the fridge walls and insulation that I had to look really close to see the wires. Nothing like spending a few extra hours cutting inside the fridge to expose the wires enough to splice back together. WHat a fun Sunday, I was supposed to just watch football and drink beer (from my new bar). Grrrrrrrrr. Thanks for letting me vent.........

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:12 am »

Sunday morning I moved the fridge outside to work on it, &, you got it right. I managed to drill the 1 1/4" holes on both the top and the side through the wiring harness for the light & temp control. The light switch was taped down after I removed the door moulding but before drilling the holes so I didn't notice there was no light. So the fridge was probably running at lowest setting. The holes were so neat through the fridge walls and insulation that I had to look really close to see the wires. Nothing like spending a few extra hours cutting inside the fridge to expose the wires enough to splice back together. WHat a fun Sunday, I was supposed to just watch football and drink beer (from my new bar). Grrrrrrrrr. Thanks for letting me vent.........
Could be worse. I attempted to "defrost" a freezer using a hammer and a screwdriver once. Nothing quite like getting blasted in the face by Freon.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:55 am »
Could be worse. I attempted to "defrost" a freezer using a hammer and a screwdriver once. Nothing quite like getting blasted in the face by Freon.

Did this to the mini fridge at work once. We ended up getting a larger replacement with a proper freezer.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »

HaHa! Did the same thing in college on a 26cuft freezer, man did that suck! Never did it again though........
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
fridge wont stay cold ?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:03:41 pm »

That was first thought, too. Glad it was at least repairable.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:05:21 pm by BrewBama »

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:00 am »
Thanks for helping me feel better.