Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fleischmann's Yeast  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Jackass_Brandy

• 1st Kit
Fleischmann's Yeast
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:46:42 pm »
Does anyone homebrew with the Fleischmann's brand of yeast?  I wonder this because I haven't heard anything good about Fleischmann's yeast and brewing since highschool.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Fleischmann's Yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 04:40:04 am »
I used it once.  If you like beer or cider or wine that tastes like bread yeast, then bread yeast will do that for you.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 07:57:15 am »
There used to be a moist yeast cake that was refrigerated sold by Fleischmann.  It was the yeast cake from Budweiser.  That stuff was supposed to be good but I've never actually seen it and heard it has been discontinued.  Bear in mind that good means good for the early 1990s.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:05:19 am »
I used it once.  If you like beer or cider or wine that tastes like bread yeast, then bread yeast will do that for you.

THIS^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:39:43 pm »
With great beer yeast so readily available, I just can't help to ask why use anything but the good stuff?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 04:44:48 am »
With great beer yeast so readily available, I just can't help to ask why use anything but the good stuff?

This is what I was thinking. the yeast is the greatest contributor to beer flavor. Up to 80% of the beer flavor comes from the yeast. Don't just throw something in there randomly because it is cheap and easy to find. Use a proper beer yeast and match it to what style beer you are brewing.