Author Topic: Ryan Gribble  (Read 2792 times)

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
Ryan Gribble
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »
Alright, I figure that since I'm gonna be doing a lot of posting here, I might as well write a bio as well.

My name is Ryan Gribble, and I work for Ice Harbor Brewing Co. as an assistant brewer/homebrew shop man.  I was born an raised in Anchorage, AK til I was 15 when my folks moved to Eastern WA.  After graduating high school, I attended Wyo Tech Diesel in Laramie, WY where I graduated with an AA in Advanced Diesel Science.  Following that I attended Athens Technical College in Athens, GA for Carrier Transicold Refrigeration Training where I also learned to fabricate in the engineering lab.  

When I was 22 (I'm 27 now) I tried my first true homebrew, brewed by my dad's best friend, and after asking him some questions decided that I could do it as well.  I read a lot on the internet and finally decided to get some supplies and to jump right in and go all grain right from the get go.  I purchased a turkey fryer setup from ACE Hardware and ordered all my supplies, not knowing there was a homebrew shop right across town.  My first batch was a honey hefe, which was horrible, because my sanitation wasn't at all close to what it should have been.  After finding my local homebrew shop (Ice Harbor Brewing Co.) and talking to a one of the brewers, I did a second batch which actually turned out pretty good.  The bottle conditioning went a little off because I didn't dissolve the priming sugar before I pitched it to the beer, so the carbonation was a bit off and there were some chunks in there as well, but it was drinkable.  

Over time I realized that 5 gallons were'nt going to cut it anymore and started looking for an alternative when one hit me like a brick.  That was when I converted two half barrels into my mash tun and brew kettle.  With false bottoms in both, my setup had reached an acceptable level.  I have brewed with this system for 3 years now and I have no problems turning out a batch a week.  The event that really accelerated my level of homebrewing was actually getting to work for the company that helped me start advancing my craft.  Working for Ice Harbor Brewing Co. isn't a job to me.  It is what I love to do.  I get up every day looking forward to going to work.  I get to do what I love to do every single day.  I still homebrew on a weekly basis.  I have my kettles at work and on Sunday I bring all the equipment up to the loading dock just out front of the building and brew ten gallons of beer.  I get a lot of questions and hopefully I am inspiring more people to look into homebrewing.

To date I have brewed more than 100 batches and have 8 recipes that are my signature recipes, all of them named after friends or events that happened while making the brew.  Craig's Saggy Ass (Old English Ale), Dave's Taint (Dry Irish Stout), Dead Hamster IPA (Hamster died while making the brew), "The Left" Nut Brown Ale (buddy got hit in the balls (the left one) while making it), Loud Mouth Stout (for our buddy who never shuts up),  Craig's Full Moon (Amber), The Sodomizing Sasquatch of Scotland Ale (Strong Scotch Ale named because we were trying to come up with a name that sounds really messed up when ordering drunk), and Tucker's Drop Dead 150 Schilling (named after my son and brewed two days before he was born.

Well thats all there is about me, well all I want to divulge on here anyway.  

Ryan
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.

Keep on Brewin'
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Gribble
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:40:57 AM »
Cool. Sounds awesome man. Would love to teach as you are. When my friends are over and I'm brewing or talking brew they just glaze over...

But they love my beer. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman