Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie Malt Question  (Read 8930 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Newbie Malt Question
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:19 am »
Bill, I recommend you take a look at this....http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/How-To-Batch-Sparge.pdf

I think I'm going to get my feet wet using the above recipe/method.  Any more of this on the site?  I heard there are some videos worth watching.  How do I find all this stuff?  I see the vids at the top of this forum.  Do I just sort of look around here and there for them?

That's based on my methods and equipment.  You can find more info at www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:01 am »
Please let me follow that snide comment with a big smiley. -  ;D  - I mean no offence. I had to look up attemperation.

I was not attempting to use a big word for the sake of using a big word.  Attemperation is a fairly common word in engineering, especially in the world of thermodynamics.  Refrigeration is applied thermodynamics.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:17 am »
I was not attempting to use a big word for the sake of using a big word.  Attemperation is a fairly common word in engineering, especially in the world of thermodynamics.  Refrigeration is applied thermodynamics.

I read this word in the sentence as the Japanese alcoholic drink...I can't even get the little words right :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 02:04:34 pm »
Please let me follow that snide comment with a big smiley. -  ;D  - I mean no offence. I had to look up attemperation.

It is also a word you run across in brewing, often reading about old British brewing technology. Saw this on a Fullers tour, it is part of the old double drop system they have for display (lost my picture of it), and the guide mentions the attemperater in the fermenter.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline CCFPAC

• 1st Kit
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2014, 10:01:29 am »
I also commend your enthusiasm. My son and I jumped right in to all grain brewing and we have never looked back. You won't learn unless you make mistakes but they are rarely so horrible and very seldom life threatening.

Do yourself a favor and check out John Palmer's site How to brew beer. You can access it free and it has a ton of information about the brewing process and all the equipment and tools you will need.

www.howtobrew.com

also a good brewing app will help tremendously with the calculations you will need.

God luck and don't get discouraged!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2014, 11:25:05 am »

"Incomprehensible jargon is the hallmark of a profession"
  - Kingman Brewster, Jr.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2014, 11:42:14 am »

- Kingman Brewster, Jr.

So true, but to those who know the jargon, it can bring extreme terse precision to discussion.  Of course, that's coming from a member of a profession well known to be full of jargon and rarely known to be terse.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 07:15:03 am »

- Kingman Brewster, Jr.

Don't worry all...the Internet makes it VERY easy for us public-school-educated-jargon-less noobs (see what I mean) to understand EVERYTHING  ;)
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta