Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tutorials on making beer WITHOUT any annoying starter kits  (Read 16000 times)

Offline JoshAraujo

• 1st Kit
Tutorials on making beer WITHOUT any annoying starter kits
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:34:13 am »
Im new to brewing, Im done some wine making in the past though
Whenever I search for tutorials or info on brewing home-beer all I find are annoying starter kit videos and pages

Does anyone know any tutorials on making beer on your own with just plain ordinary ingredients, and no extracts or special grains or Camden tablets, etc etc

Silly question I reckon, but I really want to get into brewing, and the old fashioned way

-Josh

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Tutorials on making beer WITHOUT any annoying starter kits
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:42:30 am »
These are on the AHA page. Just go the advanced section.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/advanced/videos/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:01:52 am »
I'd recommend checking out our brew in a bag tutorial. It's a technique to all-grain brew without having to buy an overt amount of equipment: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/advanced/how-to-brew-beer/ . Jeff's link is a good'n, too.
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:12:26 am »
at a minimum you are going to need special grains.

if you are referring to full on old school brewing with out chemicals, instruments, or other modern conveniences I'm not sure what you'll find out there.

I feel like the absolute minimum one would need is:
malt (malted barley)
water
hops (or other bitter herbs)
yeast (wild caught or store bought)
some sort of vessel to mash in
some sort of vessel to boil in
some sort of vessel to ferment in
some sort of vessel(s) to condition in

The one techno gadget that would make everything much much easier:
an accurate thermometer
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:30:19 am »
It might help us give more solid answer if we can get definitions of a couple of things. 

What do you mean by "Starter Kits"?  Equipment kits, recipe kits, both, neither?

What does "special grains" mean?  As Mort stated, you will need to have at least malted barley and hops.  A couple of specialty malts like caramel (10L-180L), patent malts, cereal grains can make major differences in what type of beer is made.

Campden tablets have a place in your brewery if you have chlorinated water.  Not 100% required but can be a real time saver if you don't want to have to pre-boil your brewing water and let it site over night.

Many videos are designed to take a complete novice with a new kit from their LHBS through the basic process.  They can be good primers.  If you have a specific style of brewing you are looking to learn I can guarantee someone on this board knows how to do it and is happy share.

Welcome and we're happy to help!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:44:53 am »
Maybe this as a starting point? I think the all grain one comes out soon.
http://beersmith.com/dvd/

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:15:36 pm »
Take a bucket. Fill it with something with a decent amount of sugar in it. Add water. Wait several weeks. You will have...something that could loosely be called beer. That is about as basic and "old fashioned" as you can get. It also may not be very enjoyable.

Modern homebrewing tutorials begin with the presumption that you want to make a beverage that resembles something similar to the products you buy at a bar or store labeled "beer" which requires at least some basic equipment, malted grains (and/or extracts), hops, yeast and a decent water supply. That is why you find tutorials requiring specific ingredients and a certain level of equipment. Even centuries ago, brewing required specific ingredients and equipment and the brewers had specific and often laborious techniques for brewing.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 03:13:31 pm »
Denny Conn's web site (http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/) and Don Osborn on you tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHLqnWCNjE) is what got me into all grain. Very basic no additives. Water, grain, hops, yeast. Make a simple mash tun from a beer cooler, get a bucket to ferment in, a boil kettle and spoon and you're in.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:05:19 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 06:48:38 pm »
How about going old school and learn the best way by picking up a book? I learned from reading "the Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and advanced from there. You will only glean the very, very basics from any "starter" kit or "video".

There really is a lot to learn, assuming you want to learn it well. I can't imagine learning how to brew by watching a video or reading the instructions from a kit.

The internet is a great tool but I highly recommend you look for a complete compilation.

And, of course, we will always be here to answer any of your questions at any time.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:17:33 pm »
How about going old school and learn the best way by picking up a book? I learned from reading "the Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and advanced from there. You will only glean the very, very basics from any "starter" kit or "video".

There really is a lot to learn, assuming you want to learn it well. I can't imagine learning how to brew by watching a video or reading the instructions from a kit.

The internet is a great tool but I highly recommend you look for a complete compilation.

And, of course, we will always be here to answer any of your questions at any time.

Yep. I learned from Charlie P back in the day, and obsessed (and spent) from there.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:46:12 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 05:22:10 am »
My "Advanced Brewing Kit" might well have been the first thing I bought using the internet.  Not completely sure anymore but it's quite likely.   ;D

Hopefully we haven't scarred him away with our joking around.  We really are here to try and answer each others questions.  But any group like this if left alone for too long will take thread into areas that can't be explained by the title. :o

Paul

** fixed a spelling error.  I shouldn't type before 7:00AM
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 07:27:43 pm »
As everyone else has stated, books especially by Palmer, Daniels, Zainasheff, and Foster (just to name a few) are great resources and reads.  I would also choose one of the major software tools out there.  I use Beersmith 2 (no affiliation) and it has worked wonders for the way I make my own recipes (it's also great tool to scale recipes or convert to/from extract recipes).

Experimenting using the SMASH method is also another great way to know your ingredients and system.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 09:54:22 pm »
I learned from reading "the Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and advanced from there.

Me too! +1