Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belle Saison Fermentation Temperature  (Read 12941 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Belle Saison Fermentation Temperature
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:18:37 pm »
I'm seeking opinions from those of you who have fermented with the Belle Saison yeast... specifically those whose fermentation temps were above 75-85F throughout.  I was told by the Lallemand rep that this yeast can ferment up to 90F. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Belle Saison Fermentation Temperature
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:37:44 am »
For best results pitch in the 60s then keep in the low 70s for a few weeks.  Personally I would not recommend going higher but it is your beer so hey do what you want.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 04:41:22 am »
I started in the low 60's for a few days and then let it free rise to almost 90 and it seems fine.  YMMV, of course!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:24:25 am »
I started in the low 60s and finished in the low 70s. Apparently this yeast was not completely finished when I kegged it and it continued to chug along for a few months at minus 45 degree temps. So this is an impressive yeast!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:34 am »
I started in the low 60s and finished in the low 70s. Apparently this yeast was not completely finished when I kegged it and it continued to chug along for a few months at minus 45 degree temps. So this is an impressive yeast!

do you actually mean sub-45 degree temps or did you freeze your beer solid?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:31:08 am »

I start in the mid 60s and it usually free rises to mid 70s and that still gets me to FGs lower than 1.005.  I think I will go higher next time to see what I get.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:00:51 am »

Oh lord, the semantics police are back. ;) As impressive as that strain is I don't think it would work at 45 below zero.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:08:36 am »

Oh lord, the semantics police are back. ;) As impressive as that strain is I don't think it would work at 45 below zero.

deepspace yeast (deepspace 009 for the sci fi geeks out there)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:29:10 pm »
WY-1701?

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 05:44:46 pm »
dmtaylor... I just assumed that when the company rep tells you it's fine to ferment in the 90's, it would be safe to pitch at ambient temps.  I hope that turns out to be a safe assumption.

So no one else has pitched the Belle Saison at 75F+?  I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 06:33:24 pm »
dmtaylor... I just assumed that when the company rep tells you it's fine to ferment in the 90's, it would be safe to pitch at ambient temps.  I hope that turns out to be a safe assumption.

So no one else has pitched the Belle Saison at 75F+?  I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

I think you will be fine. But I do find that for every yeast I have ever used pitching cooler than 70 works best to suit my tastes.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 07:46:08 pm »

WY-1701?
Nice Steve!

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 05:07:30 am »

I cannot say for sure what you will get but I do think your odds of getting a good beer with saison yeast at high temperatures are far better than if you were using any other type of yeast.  Belgian yeasts in general can turn out good at higher temperatures than other strains.  It is certainly worth the experiment.  And yes, the manufacturer and many homebrewers do report good results at high temps with this yeast.  So try it and see if you like it.  It hasn't been something that I would personally experiment with but that is not to say it isn't worthy of experimentation at all.  Sorry if my previous post came out that way.  Experimentation is awesome.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 10:13:50 am »
It is common for saison yeasts to ferment into the 90s. I don't have specific experience will Belle but others certainly perform well at those temperatures. You can find lots of people online discussing these warmer fermentations with this strain so I think you will be ok going north of typical ale temperatures.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:17:51 am »
I've done WLP565 at 90 degrees with good results but have not tried any other one's.