Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: maple priming?  (Read 4337 times)

Offline boburtz

• 1st Kit
maple priming?
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:42 am »
Hey All,
I'm trying to get some maple flavor into a brew that I currently have in primary. Everything I've read states that maple sugar(syrup) is completely fermentable, so will impart very little maple flavor to the beer.
My idea is this: I'm thinking about priming with maple syrup, using a bit more than necessary to get the desired carbonation, then refrigerating after two or three weeks to stall the yeast and stop bottle bombs from happening. The hypothesis is that if I stall the yeast before it has time to eat all of the maple sugar, some will be left in the bottle for flavor. Is this possible? I'm new at this and I don't want to make a huge mess, more importantly, I don't want to waste a bunch of perfectly good beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: maple priming?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:49:39 am »
I've tried it twice without very good results.  First, you use so little that you get no flavor.  Second, it's hard to figure out how much carbonation you'll get.  I've also found that if you use enough to tatse, it can impart a woody flavor.  IMO, the best way to get maple flavor os with a good maple extract.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:34 am »
It's not so much that the sugar is fermentable, though that is part of it. It's just that the flavor is rather delicate. Priming with maple is a good idea but I don't think you will be able to stop the fermentation like you think. And I'm not sure it would net you the results you are after. If you want maple flavor in a beer and don't want to use 'flavorings' (an attitude I heartily applaud) you have to use quite a lot. Prime with it as well. Check out this site for how much to use http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

**EDIT TO ADD**

The woody flavor that Denny refers to is what maple syrup actually tastes like. Woody and Caramelized. Another situation where what we think of as somethings flavor is largely influenced by the sweetness.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline boburtz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:07:38 am »
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Wow, thanks for that gem!
Currently, the beer is in primary, ready for racking to secondary. I haven't added any maple syrup yet. What about the idea of priming with a normal amount of sugar (or even maple syrup) for the desired carbonation, then after three weeks, pop each bottle open and add a couple spoonfuls of maple syrup, then refrigerate? Would that work, or would I end up with bottle bombs?
I guess that's not much different than just adding syrup to the beer when I pour it, that just seems like cheating to me...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:59:21 am »
you're asking for bottle bombs if you try to prevent the yeast from fermenting sugar. Might be fine, might not. overall though, and this is preference, I don't like sweet beers so I wouldn't want unfermented maple in a beer.

just wait till next batch and put a coiuple lbs in the primary after you see yeast activity start to die down.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »
ive done a batch with 22 oz in the boil and then 10 oz for priming. It turned out quite nice and had a pleasant maple flavor.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 02:52:45 pm »
I have to agree with Denny. My buddy makes a great Maple Brown Ale and uses maple extract. His beer reminds me of eating pancakes in liquid form.
Dan Chisholm

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »
I have to agree with Denny. My buddy makes a great Maple Brown Ale and uses maple extract. His beer reminds me of eating pancakes in liquid form.

fake maple flavor is just so not the same as real though. to each his/her own
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 04:31:50 pm »
And often that's a good thing
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 05:23:08 pm »

Agree 100%. I used to get the fake stuff and brought it camping once. A fellow brewer convinced me that the real stuff is worth the price. Honestly I eat pancakes or waffles maybe 6-8 times a year, might as well splurge.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:09 pm »

You could be right. I can't remember ever having a beer with real maple syrup or one with enough to actually taste the maple flavor.
Dan Chisholm

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 07:43:08 pm »
Yuck! (For me that is,its a matter of opinion) To me maple is a flavor in beer that should be an accent, not the main flavor. I think the dryness that adding a bunch of sugar in the form of maple syrup could work ok with a beer that otherwise would be sweetish. Ironically maple syrup would make a beer less sweet. I am yet to find one that's perfect.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 07:58:27 pm »
Yuck! (For me that is,its a matter of opinion) To me maple is a flavor in beer that should be an accent, not the main flavor. I think the dryness that adding a bunch of sugar in the form of maple syrup could work ok with a beer that otherwise would be sweetish. Ironically maple syrup would make a beer less sweet. I am yet to find one that's perfect.
It's not the main flavor and is more of an accent, but you can taste it. It's mainly a malty brown ale. I think a sweet maple syrupy beer would be gross too.
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 08:08:56 pm »
If you want maple flavor, then you need to get the darkest grade maple syrup you can get your hands on. Grade B is the best option. Unfortunately, I can't get any from my local sugar shack - the local bakeries buy it all before it's even finished. You can get good quality grade B syrup on Amazon, and at a decent price if you shop around.

The light amber stuff is a waste of money, IMO. But I use grade B on my pancakes whenever possible. Go big or go home  8)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 06:16:38 am »
I've done 2 maple batches:  The first was with priming sugar (maple in the boil only), the second was with maple both in the boil and for priming.  I'm with Matty, they were both good and the maple primed was significantly more distinct in its maple flavor.

I also tend to agree with Erock's input.  Higher grade syrup is more expensive and has a "cleaner" taste, but many folks prefer a lower grade, more robust flavor.