Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Motorized Monster Mill  (Read 5041 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Motorized Monster Mill
« on: February 07, 2015, 06:54:25 pm »
Here are a few pics of my MM3 motorized with a Tigear gear reduction motor.  I used a cherry wood base cabinet that I modified.  Both the reduction and electric motor I picked up off eBay.  Photos coming as soon as I figure out how to upload them.

iPad sucks for uploading, had to go back to old faithful, the laptop.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:27:47 am by Indy574 »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Motorized Monster Mill
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 08:49:27 pm »
I don't know how you attempted, but the way I do it is by using a web based picture site, like photobucket.com.

When the picture is there I click on the picture then when it appears in its own window look to the right.  Under "Share Links" there is a "Direct" box.  Clicking on that copies it. 

Then when posting back on the AHA site, when you click on the picture icon which is above the text box it produces two square bracketed objects.  put your cursor between those two innermost brackets, right click and select paste.  That will paste that picture address you just copied off of photobucket or wherever.

That's it!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 11:14:20 am »
Nice. Looks like you could crush gravel with that motor. I was looking at small cabinets like that at the Home Depot yesterday. The spirit is willing but the garage is full.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »
The spirit is willing but the garage is full.

Great motto!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »
Looking good.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »
It looks like you received 2-roller mill side plates.  The side plates for the 3-roller mill are longer.  They go all the down to the base.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:57:26 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:24:57 am »
It looks like you received 2-roller mill side plates.  The side plates for 3-roller mill are longer.  They go all the down to the base.

You are correct, Mark. That will be a source of dust, so I would contact MM and arrange a swap of parts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:16:51 am »
It looks like you received 2-roller mill side plates.  The side plates for 3-roller mill are longer.  They go all the down to the base.
Agree

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »
Can you provide more info on the Tigear gear reduction motor?  I want to motorize and mount my mill in a similar way to yours. 

From a previous setup I have a 1/3 hp motor that runs at 1725 RPM and a 14" sheave which would make the mill run at about 200 RPM, but I don't think the lateral pressure this setup would produce is good for the mill so I'd like to do something different.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 12:25:38 pm »
From a previous setup I have a 1/3 hp motor that runs at 1725 RPM and a 14" sheave which would make the mill run at about 200 RPM, but I don't think the lateral pressure this setup would produce is good for the mill so I'd like to do something different.

All you need is a 10:1 reduction gearbox that will mate up to your motor.  Right-angle gearboxes are plentiful on eBay.  You can also find them at Surplus Center.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:49:29 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »

Can you provide more info on the Tigear gear reduction motor?  I want to motorize and mount my mill in a similar way to yours. 

I run my 3MM for couple of years and couple of thousand lb with belt drive. Bushing finally wore out but it was quick replacement.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 05:34:08 pm »

The part number is 13Q10L56. Says it replaces part number MR96101. I think I paid $70-80 off eBay shipped. The electric motor was around $60-70. Both were new in box. Motor is 1/2hp 1725rpm Graymills mfg by Marathon Electric.

Thanks for the heads up on the side plates. Thought that seamed odd, but figured it was a universal hopper.