Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison per Wyeast  (Read 18131 times)

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
Re: Saison per Wyeast
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:38 am »
At day 34, it's finally down to 1.009 (from 1.057). 

I think I'll keg it on Sunday.

Edit: I checked the gravity again on Sunday, and it was down to 1.007.  It's kegged and carbonating.

I just kegged mine that I referenced above yesterday.  It took me 5 weeks to get it to 1.008.  Stalled twice on me.  I repitched some of the slurry into a pumpkin saison that I brewed yesterday.  We'll see if the second time around is any easier as some have indicated.  On the flip side the begian ale I kegged tasted great!  I dry hopped it with Colombus, Cascade and Mt. Hood.  I can't wait to try the finished product.

Offline cmooreseymour

• 1st Kit
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 08:48:47 am »
I just brewed my first saison using WLP565, Brewing Classic Styles recipe.  OG = 1.060, 2 days @ 70 degrees, 5 days @ 76-78 degrees, 8 days @ 82-86 degrees. FG = 1.002.  Kegged it last night, taste tested throughout.  Definitely has the tart finish I wanted with the low FG and I can detect some citrus and spice flavors. 
Any recommendations?  Sounds like I could finish the fermentation sooner by starting near 90 degrees and staying there.  Great thread

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 08:54:15 am »

I just brewed my first saison using WLP565, Brewing Classic Styles recipe.  OG = 1.060, 2 days @ 70 degrees, 5 days @ 76-78 degrees, 8 days @ 82-86 degrees. FG = 1.002.  Kegged it last night, taste tested throughout.  Definitely has the tart finish I wanted with the low FG and I can detect some citrus and spice flavors. 
Any recommendations?  Sounds like I could finish the fermentation sooner by starting near 90 degrees and staying there.  Great thread

Two weeks sounds pretty good to me. If you like the results, do it again.

Offline cmooreseymour

• 1st Kit
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:54 am »
Ok, I used the fermentation schedule that I previously mentioned: "WLP565, Brewing Classic Styles recipe.  OG = 1.060, 2 days @ 70 degrees, 5 days @ 76-78 degrees, 8 days @ 82-86 degrees. FG = 1.002."  After a week to mellow and further tasting, this beer ended up more like a wheat beer or belgian with some dunkelweizen-like notes. 

Does not really resemble a saison and I can't help but think I should have fermented a lower temperatures.  I was afraid of not attenuating and read all about saison yeast loving warm temps, but I don't know what else would contribute to a tried-and-true recipe resulting in these flavors.

Thoughts?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2014, 07:29:30 am »
WY3724 is the strain especially prone to stalling at lower temps. 565 (though Dupont) is supposedly not the exact same strain and is less prone to the higher temp requirement.

EDIT  -  Dupont allegedly uses 2 strains in their saison from what I've read. 3724 is one, 565 the other.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:31:39 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2014, 07:56:30 am »
I am happy with the way mine came out, and I ran it at 90 the while time. Went from 1.051 to 1.006 in 4 weeks. It was my first saison brew, so I can't compare it to anything. I don't get any off, non saison like notes in mine. It was work to keep it at that temp though, so next batch may use a different strain

Sent from The Alpine Brewery using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)