Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermented Salsa  (Read 1533 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Fermented Salsa
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »
We lucked out with an extended growing season in MN last year, but this year it looks like we're getting an early first frost tonight.  So I did a quick pick and now I'm going to make some fermented salsa. 

Here's a link to the recipe (scroll down on the page past the annoying pickl-it propaganda).  My wife and I made some of our own pickl-it style jars last year by buying 1 gallon bail-top jars with gaskets, then having the lids drilled to accept a rubber stopper and airlock.  Truly excluding oxygen with a tightly-sealed jar majorly improved our results.  Now I'm thinking about using a big-mouth bubbler as a fermenter for sauerkraut and other large-batch veggie ferments.

The veggie ferments last year turned out great.  This will be our first time doing fermented salsa.  Hope it's good! 

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Re: Fermented Salsa
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »
Sounds pretty good. I received a bag full of assorted red chiles today and started a fermented hot sauce. I've never done it before, but it seems like a good way to preserve them.

Did you use that Caldwell starter culture? I've always heard the veggies have enough bugs on them to start a fermentation on their own, but if I've learned anything from brewing, a good fermentation is the most important thing.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:00:15 pm »
We didn't use a starter culture, since all of the veggies were organic and right from our garden.  Really high-quality stuff, I was pretty selective of which veggies I chose since it was going to be fermented rather than heat-processed.

It came out really tasty, with a lactic tang that almost gives the impression of slight carbonation.  It was really watery though.  I'm making a second batch tonight and this time I'll drain the tomatoes.  I left out the jalapenos so mine came out pretty close to pico de gallo. 

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:02:28 pm »
I just refilled my serving jar from the 1-gallon jar and had some of this on a baked potato.  I swear there is a slight carbonation - it really gives the salsa an interesting zing.  Great stuff.  I would highly recommend trying this if you've got the fermentation gear.  As with other vegetable ferments, leave plenty of head space or you'll end up with blowoff.