Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: S. cerevisiae, why do you hate Crystal malts?  (Read 11718 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: S. cerevisiae, why do you hate Crystal malts?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2014, 04:30:53 pm »
I just finished helping judge the homebrew section of the Fresh Hop Ale Fest here in Yakima.  the most common flaw my table saw?  Too much crystal malt.

I learned a lot.  It was a great experience.  I am even more jazzed to get certified.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2014, 05:11:31 pm »
I just finished helping judge the homebrew section of the Fresh Hop Ale Fest here in Yakima.  the most common flaw my table saw?  Too much crystal malt.

I learned a lot.  It was a great experience.  I am even more jazzed to get certified.
Out of curiosity, how did you determine it was specifically too much Crystal vs underattenuation or some other fault? I'm still not sold on "too much Crystal malt" being a glaring flaw on its own. Otherwise Celebration would be undrinkable from what I understand.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2014, 05:37:04 pm »

Out of curiosity, how did you determine it was specifically too much Crystal vs underattenuation or some other fault? I'm still not sold on "too much Crystal malt" being a glaring flaw on its own. Otherwise Celebration would be undrinkable from what I understand.
I started to ask the same thing. 
That and to comment on what a table saw has to do with judging.
I try to be cautious with my comments on score sheets, not having the recipe in front of me.  Writing "overly strong caramel flavor" may be more appropriate than "cut back on crystal malt."
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 06:15:59 pm »
In the latest issue of The New Brewer (Sept/Oct I think), Matt Cole of FatHeads Brewery mentions that significantly restricting the use of crystal malts when brewing an award-winning IPA is a must. He does have a track record of a number of IPA medals at WBC and GABF, so that advice should have some weight.

When you think about it, when brewing a hop-focused beer, keeping the malt presence down at an appropriately low level should help accentuate the hop bittering, flavor, and character. Adding a larger percentage of less fermentable sugars to your IPA wort does seem counterproductive.

Given that advice, I will have to agree that limiting the amount of crystal in a hoppy beer is a good idea. But that isn't to say that NONE is the correct answer. Adding just a touch to add flavor nuances that you CAN'T achieve with another base malt. For instance, adding a bit of a dark caramel note might call for a touch of a darker crystal.

Based on Matt's advice, I'd say that exploring the lower end of crystal percentage should be on the table for a number of beer styles.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 06:21:30 pm »
Some types of oxidation can produce honey-like notes that can be perceived as caramel-like.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 06:39:12 pm »
I just finally came around to the fact that, for hoppy beers, I like the drier 'West Coast' style better, with crystal limited. That's not to say I haven't had Midwest and East Coast style hoppy beers that I liked alot, but I just prefer the other approach, ie., limiting crystal to 6% or less, mashing low, and using a water profile that enhances hop character. Not saying it's better than someone else's method - just what I like.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2014, 06:33:02 am »

I will state again that this was my first experience at judging, so I'm a little shy about this, but here is why I said that:

1. The other 2 judges at the table said it.
2. The beers in question were too dark for style.  (We were judging APAs)
3. The flavor of the crystal malt dominated the hop flavor.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2014, 12:29:09 pm »
Congrats on reaching Certified! Big accomplishment in a short time. Good for you!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2014, 12:37:17 pm »

I started to ask the same thing. 
That and to comment on what a table saw has to do with judging.
I try to be cautious with my comments on score sheets, not having the recipe in front of me.  Writing "overly strong caramel flavor" may be more appropriate than "cut back on crystal malt."

I third that.  I never comment on what's in the beer unless the entrant has specified something.  Harkens back to when a judge told me I had too much roasted malt in an alt and I hadn't used any.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2014, 12:40:26 pm »
In the latest issue of The New Brewer (Sept/Oct I think), Matt Cole of FatHeads Brewery mentions that significantly restricting the use of crystal malts when brewing an award-winning IPA is a must. He does have a track record of a number of IPA medals at WBC and GABF, so that advice should have some weight.

OTOH, John Maier, who has won more than a few medals, uses crystal liberally.  I just don't think you can look at isolated examples and say it should be one way or the other.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »
I will state again that this was my first experience at judging, so I'm a little shy about this, but here is why I said that:

1. The other 2 judges at the table said it.
2. The beers in question were too dark for style.  (We were judging APAs)
3. The flavor of the crystal malt dominated the hop flavor.

1. They were poor examples for you I'm afraid
2.  Lots of other reasons, including oxidation which could also give exaggerated caramel taste
3. But are you certain it was crystal malt?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2014, 12:49:38 pm »
Shouldn't be oxydation since these beers had to be brewed with 2014 hops...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 12:56:48 pm »
Im not certain he actually wrote too much crystal on the sheets, at least he hasnt said that yet. Certainly if thats what he tasted then he has the right to his opinion. I get the comments on wording things on a sheet though, but steve does deserve a little credit since he was the one tasting. As to a judge writing too much x, when x wasn't used... yes, judges should carefully word their comments.  But if I got a scoresheet that said, for example, too much black patent, but I used pale chocolate,  well I should be able to interpret that and move on.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »
Shouldn't be oxydation since these beers had to be brewed with 2014 hops...

I still wouldn't rule it out.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2014, 01:20:51 pm »
Im not certain he actually wrote too much crystal on the sheets, at least he hasnt said that yet. Certainly if thats what he tasted then he has the right to his opinion. I get the comments on wording things on a sheet though, but steve does deserve a little credit since he was the one tasting. As to a judge writing too much x, when x wasn't used... yes, judges should carefully word their comments.  But if I got a scoresheet that said, for example, too much black patent, but I used pale chocolate,  well I should be able to interpret that and move on.

Jim, I agree to a point.  But instead of saying "too much crystal malt" it's better to describe the flavor you're getting.  Unless the entrant has turned in a recipe, you're setting yourself up by guessing what's in the beer.  Believe me, I've been on on sides of that mistake.

www.dennybrew.com