Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Asco Valves for RIMS  (Read 2040 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Asco Valves for RIMS
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »
I'm looking in to valves for my natural gas RIMS build and it looks like the Asco 8210G037 Lonnie Mac used on the Brutus 10 are now over $400 for stainless and close to $300 each for brass?   :o

Has anyone used other valves?  Seems like a steep climb from the $57 he has in the plans.

Could use some guidance here.  Thanks.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
Re: Asco Valves for RIMS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:42:40 am »
The 1082G037 doesn't show up on ASCO's site any more.  1082GO75 seems like a comparable brass valve for fuel use.  Seems like they are about $165.  Depending on your batch size, you might consider using the 1082G074, which is a 3/8" valve.  It will choke your flame down a bit if, like me you are using 3/4" pipe to 1/2" pipe at the stand, but for 12 gallon batches, I still have plenty of umph for a a direct fired RIMS system and HLT.  I don' think you save a ton. 

Just be sure to get a valve rated for fuel like those I mentioned and not a cheaper general purpose valve.  The GP valve will work fine, but it's life span may be reduced by using it with NG.  Not something you want to have fail early without notice.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:51:02 am by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 08:48:35 am »
Thanks for the reply!  I ended up going with the 8040G023 after much research.  Thoughts?

I'm going 3/4" to 3/4" on the stand.  Thoughts on that?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:25 am »
Probably an ideal solution.  Looking into my stand (I have a pair of Blichmann Tower of Powers), I use the provided 1/4" valve from Blichmann that is a ASCO 8262H078.  These are much less expensive ($60) but still rated for fuel.  Like I said earlier, even with my 3/4" to 1/2" line being choked down to 1/4" and back up to 1/2" to go to my 20 tip jet burners, it works fine for 12 gallon batches since I'm not not using those burners to boil.  For the direct fired RIMS, it may work even better since I can run the burner wide open after the valve and not scorch while recirculating (constantly).

Your setup will give you plenty of volume I'd bet.  I'm running 3/4" from the meter approximately 40' to the stand where it gets squashed down to 1/2" for about 2' before the burner (I'm talking about my BK burner that is unrestricted) and burner fuel volume isn't an issue at all.  I never run it wide open.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:00:33 am »
OK, this is good to hear.  I went with the 32 tip burners and was a little worried about volume.  That's why I went with those valves which are rated to 512k BTU.  They have a 3/4" orifice as well so no step down at all from house to burner.  Fingers crossed.....

We are having a house generator installed as well so I think we may get an upgraded regulator to boost the pressure up from 1/4psi to around 1/2psi.  Again, fingers crossed.

Dave

Edit: I went with the 32 tip burners because I have 25G pots and want to do 20G batches....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:51:11 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:33:13 am »
I like the idea of BIAB in my cooler. I never thought of just using the spout that came with the cooler. My temp when I BIAB last weekend was all over the place on the stove top.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:11:14 am »
I like the idea of BIAB in my cooler. I never thought of just using the spout that came with the cooler. My temp when I BIAB last weekend was all over the place on the stove top.