Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: STC 1000F[ahreneit] ?!?!  (Read 3260 times)

Offline sdfern4

• 1st Kit
STC 1000F[ahreneit] ?!?!
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:29:15 pm »
Another amazon link  I know
http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheit110V-All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B00KHHGKW8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1410664792&sr=8-14&keywords=stc+1000

but it this legit? an STC in Fahrenheit , i know there are ones that look like the stc 1000 and claim to be a true dual stage controlled but aren't. This looks like the real one and even has the same schematic on the top of the device.

any thoughts?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: STC 1000F[ahreneit] ?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
That looks different from the model I have had for 3 or so years. I know that somebody just released a modified firmware for these that allows for all sorts of new features.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stc-1000-a-464348/

Offline sdfern4

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:37:21 pm »
thanks steve, unfortunately its on back order till october 31 and im not waiting that long to have temperature controlled home brew, guess i will suck it up an just use Celsius like the rest of the world.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:25:39 am »
I printed out a table and taped it to the wall next to the controller. After a while I started to think in celcius.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:54:22 am »
I printed out a table and taped it to the wall next to the controller. After a while I started to think in celcius.

I'm halfway there...

Offline Stauffbier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »
Nice! I have one of the single stage Fahrenheit ones. It does indeed look like this one is dual stage according to the schematic. Fortunately for me, I have no need for heat. I live in a hot climate, so heat is plentiful. The single stage works fine for my needs. I believe I have read that it's possible to flash the Celsius dual stage ones over to Fahrenheit, but I'm not honestly sure if that is true or not.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 04:12:31 pm »

I believe I have read that it's possible to flash the Celsius dual stage ones over to Fahrenheit, but I'm not honestly sure if that is true or not.

It certainly is possible. I linked it above. It requires an ardunio and only works on one of the variations of the stc-1000. I guess it also allows for more complicated programming as well.

Offline Stauffbier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »

It certainly is possible. I linked it above. It requires an ardunio and only works on one of the variations of the stc-1000. I guess it also allows for more complicated programming as well.

Ah, I missed your link.

I have a Celsius on my ferm chamber and Fahrenheit on my keezer. Even after a couple years, I still haven't gotten used to reading in Celsius.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:18:24 am »
You can buy and flash STC-1000's but only certain boards, and there is no way to know if your board is flashable until you open it unless you know someone who has a source for known flashable units. However once you have the unit you need an audrino UNO and some jumper wires and some time to do the research, download the files, disassemble the unit and flash it. if you just need one or two you can buy them already flashed. http://www.blackboxbrew.com/store/  The flashing allows you to set profiles so you can set a start temp, do an automatic D rest, drop back down to finish secondary and then drop lower to lagering temps. And all in Fahrenheit Too! There is a ton of info on the STC-1000 out there including some monster forum threads so you should be able to find what you want and then some. Happy hunting.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:19 am »
$30 flashed is totally worth it.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:37 am »
$30 flashed is totally worth it.
I agree. Even those who lack any technical know how can get by with any one of many build videos out there. I'm getting one soon to wire up to control the fridge portion of my garage/keg/bottle/lager fridge fridge.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline Stauffbier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 04:57:51 pm »
I like the idea of programmable profiles. That's pretty cool!