Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mold in Mason Jar  (Read 3952 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Mold in Mason Jar
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:55:17 pm »
I like to wash and reuse my yeast in mason jars.  Opened my fridge to see what yeast I had and saw that there was some mold floating in the beer on top of my 2633.  I poured it out and the yeast smelled just fine.  Thoughts on whether to reuse or should I just toss it?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mold in Mason Jar
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:24:38 pm »
I wouldn't risk it.  IMO, yeast rinsing isn't necessary and is just one more thing you can screw up.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »
I wouldn't risk it.  IMO, yeast rinsing isn't necessary and is just one more thing you can screw up.

I'm thinking the same.  But not about rinsing.  I've saved several hundred dollars by washing and reusing.  This is the first time in many years I've had an issue.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:09:29 pm »

I'm thinking the same.  But not about rinsing.  I've saved several hundred dollars by washing and reusing.  This is the first time in many years I've had an issue.

Dave

I'm not saying don't reuse...I'm on a 5th generation 1450 slurry at the moment.  But I never rinse it any more.  I founds no advantages to doing that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:11:17 pm »
Got it.  I hear ya Denny.

Dave Zach

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »
I quit doing it and agree to no advantage. Perhaps in a pro setting with a lab and trying to kill bac with an acid wash, bla bla, but I am a believer in just leaving a bit of the beer on the cake, swirl around, dump into a sanitized container.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 03:20:36 pm »
I quit doing it and agree to no advantage. Perhaps in a pro setting with a lab and trying to kill bac with an acid wash, bla bla, but I am a believer in just leaving a bit of the beer on the cake, swirl around, dump into a sanitized container.

For hoppy or big beers I think you do get a cleaner slurry by rinsing.  I boil my mason jars with the water, let cool and then pour 2 in the fermenter, swirl, pour in to a sanitized container, let it settle for 20-30 minutes and pour back in to the mason jars leaving behind the trub and hop material.  Let them settle again and combine to one jar. 

I get a really nice clean slurry with minimal effort and always have sterilized jars available.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:23 pm »
Pretty much zactly what I did. Glad it works for you. I thought it was awesome,  but quit and haven't noticed any difference in final product. But my experience is not the end all be all, for sure. What convinced me to change was tge idea that beer is a good medium and ph for yeast to relax in for a while. Made sense so I changed.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 04:25:05 pm »
Pretty much zactly what I did. Glad it works for you. I thought it was awesome,  but quit and haven't noticed any difference in final product. But my experience is not the end all be all, for sure. What convinced me to change was tge idea that beer is a good medium and ph for yeast to relax in for a while. Made sense so I changed.

That has been my experience - and rather than using different beer after rinsing, I just use what the yeast just made.  If I have a little trub, I don't sweat it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 04:51:51 pm »

That has been my experience - and rather than using different beer after rinsing, I just use what the yeast just made.  If I have a little trub, I don't sweat it.

Right, that beer not store bought. I'll add that if I have a big or messy beer that I don't keep it. And add that I think the rinse routine is fine. Im not dissing it

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 06:18:06 pm »
For hoppy or big beers I think you do get a cleaner slurry by rinsing.  I boil my mason jars with the water, let cool and then pour 2 in the fermenter, swirl, pour in to a sanitized container, let it settle for 20-30 minutes and pour back in to the mason jars leaving behind the trub and hop material.  Let them settle again and combine to one jar. 

I get a really nice clean slurry with minimal effort and always have sterilized jars available.

Rinsing yeast with and storing it under boiled serves absolutely no useful purpose.  If you want to know the reason why yeast rinsing is a poor practice, here is link to a thread that I started on the subject of yeast rinsing: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.0.   

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »
I don't store it under boiled, I store it under the (diluted) beer. 

I look forward to reading the thread.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Mold in Mason Jar
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 06:24:28 pm »

Dave

I'm not saying don't reuse...I'm on a 5th generation 1450 slurry at the moment.  But I never rinse it any more.  I founds no advantages to doing that.

I also think that yeast rinsing is asking for trouble.

I am in 25-th generation of my yeast. Yes yeast got more powdery and attenuate better. Still going strong. May be I buy new pitch next year.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 06:24:42 pm »

Rinsing yeast with and storing it under boiled serves absolutely no useful purpose.  If you want to know the reason why yeast rinsing is a poor practice, here is link to a thread that I started on the subject of yeast rinsing: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.0.

What is your thought about the mold that was floating up top?  Toss the slurry?  Like I said, it smelled just fine.
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 06:25:54 pm »
Now a 25th generation is definitely asking for trouble!
Dave Zach