Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice on using Maple Syrup  (Read 2236 times)

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
Advice on using Maple Syrup
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:58:43 pm »
Looking for feedback on this new recipe I'm trying. I have 2lbs of C grade maple syrup and trying to figure out how best to use it. Got inspiration from Funky Buddha French Toast Double Brown but decided to go with more of a Porter. Adding Brown Malt for a bit of a bready flavor. I see Crisp Brown Malt listed at my local HBS...is that the same thing? Any thoughts/suggestions?

French Toast Porter
6.5 lbs Pale Malt 2 Row
.5 lb Caramel/crystal 60L
1 lb Munich
1 lb Brown Malt
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
1.5 oz Fuggles @60 min
.5 oz Fuggles @10 min
1 lb Maple syrup at flameout

Add in secondary: another 1 lb Maple syrup, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean (scraped)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Advice on using Maple Syrup
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 02:05:22 pm »
Brown can be odd. Taste it first. Personally id use less... but im not a fan due to one bad experience.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »
I don't have any real feedback on the recipe - but where did you get the Grade C syrup?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:20:59 pm »
@Eric...a guy in my brew club got it (not sure where from) and doled it out to members for an in-club competition.

Offline 1beerbaron

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:32 am »
I added 1.87 lb of maple syrup to a big RIS.  It's a little over a year now and still has a noticeable maple flavor.  I added it all to secondary.  However, I didn't wait for fermentation to completely end.  I waited till it was noticeably slowing down by a fair amount and the racked to secondary with the maple syrup.  I'm happy with the results.  I want to change the recipe a bit, but it's the malt bill.  The amount and way of adding the syrup with stay the same.

I would definitely cut back from that amount if you're planning on drinking it fresh.  While I enjoyed the maple flavor, fresh it was a touch too strong.  After a year it's really hit it's stride, but I was planning on sitting on this for at least a year anyway.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 05:33:47 am »
2 lb maple syrup will dry out your beer a lot.  To compensate, mash really high at like 156 F for just 40 minutes and/or add a half pound of lactose.  If at the end of ferment it does not taste mapley enough, add a little fenugreek which is the artificial flavor used in artificial syrup.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.