Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is maintaining a yeast bank really worth the extra effort in 2014?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline bassmannate

• 1st Kit
Re: Is maintaining a yeast bank really worth the extra effort in 2014?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 05:55:29 pm »
I was a yeast rancher for about 5 years.  I decided in about 2005 that for me, the payoff wasn't worth the effort.  The only strain I was interested in keeping around that I couldn't buy was CL-50.  A microbiologist in the club stated keeping that, so I didn't have to.  Once Wyeast picked it up. there was no reason for either of us to do it.

Everyone keeps talking about this strain and I have yet to try it. Gotta come up with something that would be tasty.

I would recommend one of Denny's recipes. His rye IPA, and waldo lake amber are great! Make a really nice porter as well. You can find them in the recipe wiki.

Yeah, I love 1450 in most American styles - Amber, Brown, Porter and Stout. Good stuff !
I actually just started getting a hankering for an oatmeal stout. Sounds like the enhanced mouthfeel would be great with something like this.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 08:54:57 pm »
The culture that I subcultured this evening is one of those strains.  It is also the most box of chocolates-like culture that I have propagated thus far.  I only know its genus (Saccharomyces), species (cerevisiae), and its anonymized source (ale, England, beer).   I have absolutely no idea of how the beer is going to turn out.  Heck, I may have spent the better part of a C-note on a Whitbread B culture.

Well, the mystery strain is more than likely not Whitbread B.  It an extremely flocculent strain.  The cells stick together like glue.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 01:28:32 am »
The culture that I subcultured this evening is one of those strains.  It is also the most box of chocolates-like culture that I have propagated thus far.  I only know its genus (Saccharomyces), species (cerevisiae), and its anonymized source (ale, England, beer).   I have absolutely no idea of how the beer is going to turn out.  Heck, I may have spent the better part of a C-note on a Whitbread B culture.

Well, the mystery strain is more than likely not Whitbread B.  It an extremely flocculent strain.  The cells stick together like glue.
Sam Smith's? WLP037 is ridiculously flocculant.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 01:37:37 am »
I don't think it would be worth the effort for me, at least not at this moment. But, Mr. S., like others have said, I sure appreciate your effort and even more so, your anecdotes. Have you considered writing a book? It could be a series of short stories, each dedicated to a yeast strain. I'd buy it.