Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: maris otter  (Read 6349 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: maris otter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:48:41 am »
I'm not Jeff, but my local hardware store sells 55 lb. sacks of Munton's Maris Otter blend that is 2.1°L.  I have an English summer bitter on tap right now with it that is pretty good.  Not as much biscuit flavor as Crisp or Fawcett, though.
Hardwood store? Where do you live? My hardware store has a crappy malt selection. Lots of tool etc. though.

I live in Helena, Montana.  The only LHBS in town closed its doors a few years ago, so our local Ace hardware store began selling brewing supplies to fill the void.  So far its working pretty good. They don't have a selection like the online retailers, but what they do have is fresh and reasonably priced.

It wasn't a great stretch for them to get into the brewing supply market.  Years ago, when Montana legalized medical marijuana, the hardware store got in heavy with indoor growing systems.  8)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:28 am »
Let me add one more note regarding mash temps.  Typically MO has a DP of ~50 while  regular 2-row has a DP of ~140.  These differences are not real important, perhaps completely unimportant, if you are mashing at 158 F or above.  If on the other hand you are mashing at 149 F to get a dry finish or because you have a lot of adjuncts needing conversion, MO by itself won't get what you want since it doesn't have beta-amylase in the first case and may not have enough DP for the second case to convert all the starch into sugar.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:05 am »
MO doesn't have beta amylase?   :o
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 01:55:53 pm »

:o

as far as I know MOST cereal grains have plenty of beta amylase. it's the alpha amylase that's hard to come by and makes barley particularly well suited for starch liquification
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »

as far as I know MOST cereal grains have plenty of beta amylase. it's the alpha amylase that's hard to come by and makes barley particularly well suited for starch liquification

That was my understanding too.  Northern Brewer has a short lab report on each grain and it lists alpha-amylase as equal to 0.  It makes no mention on beta.

It wouldn't work as a base malt if it had no beta-amylase would it?

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 02:27:52 pm »

That was my understanding too.  Northern Brewer has a short lab report on each grain and it lists alpha-amylase as equal to 0.  It makes no mention on beta.

Paul

That's what I'm thinking, Paul.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »

Paul

There are way too many 0's in that table to take it as authoritative and complete. 0 Protein, 0 Diastatic Power raise suspicion. That says it should not convert, but it does.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/english-maris-otter.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:09 pm »

Paul

There are way too many 0's in that table to take it as authoritative and complete. 0 Protein, 0 Diastatic Power raise suspicion. That says it should not convert, but it does.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/english-maris-otter.html

I agree but haven't got time at work to find a better report. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 04:31:02 pm »
Guys i brew BIAB style and usually mash at 152 for 90 min. Do i need to jack up the temp? m still learning!
Jimmykx250

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 05:30:29 pm »
Guys i brew BIAB style and usually mash at 152 for 90 min. Do i need to jack up the temp? m still learning!

No - British Malts are malted to work in a single infusion in the 149 to 152 - ish range. You are then in what is called the brewer's window, where both Alpha and Beta are working (if there are Alpha and Beta - I kid).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 02:30:29 pm »

No - British Malts are malted to work in a single infusion in the 149 to 152 - ish range. You are then in what is called the brewer's window, where both Alpha and Beta are working (if there are Alpha and Beta - I kid).

Maybe this is why some people mash hop? Get your alpha and beta from the hops?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
Enzymes (malt) v. Acids (hops). Sorry if I am being obtuse and unable to detect your humor.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 02:47:21 pm »
Enzymes (malt) v. Acids (hops). Sorry if I am being obtuse and unable to detect your humor.
I forgive you

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 04:51:06 pm »
I forgive you
And I forgive Jim!!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 11:42:44 pm »
This thread is getting dangerously warm n fuzzy