Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: maris otter  (Read 6336 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: maris otter
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 08:59:23 pm »
I love MO and use a lot of it.  I brew a lot of English style ales and its perfect for that.

I have to agree that it's style dependent, though.  Experimentation is great, but I wouldn't use it to replace Pils malt.  I also don't think I'd use it if I was going for an American ale, but it could work.

Warm and fuzzy = mold.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 08:23:46 am »
Looks like what I said is controverisal.  I'll see if I can find a cite for what I said.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 06:45:44 pm »
So I misstated the info, but what I said is somewhat correct.  From Lewis and Young's Brewing textbook on p. 183 and table 10-1: UK Pale ale typically has has non-detectable levels of dextrinizing units, which is largely a measure of alpha-amylase.   

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:23 am »
So I misstated the info, but what I said is somewhat correct.  From Lewis and Young's Brewing textbook on p. 183 and table 10-1: UK Pale ale typically has has non-detectable levels of dextrinizing units, which is largely a measure of alpha-amylase.   

That is interesting, I had to go and get my copy of Lewis and read that section. I wonder what some of today's UK malts would measure at.

That also makes me wonder about the homebrewers that mash MO at 158F for more body. I need to read chapter 10 again, and Chapter 13 - I got bogged down at chapter 11.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:40 pm »
Boy, this thread got my attention. I brewed a porter 11 days ago with Maris Otter comprising 78% of the grain bill.  I mashed at 158F because I wanted more body.   I'm using WY 1028 and it's been sitting at 19C the whole time, which should attenuate at about 75% on average.  My OG was 1.059, and I drew a sample just  which measured to 1.022, or about 62%.

It's going to be interesting to see how this finishes.  It never occurred to me that MO would be any different than Yankee 2 row except for the taste.  Still so much to learn...

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 05:42:08 pm »
Beta-amylase in a mash is destroyed by heat before alpha-amylase.  It is odd to me that MO would have little to no apha-amylase but have fair amounts of beta.  This oddity is the source of error in my earlier statement.  Mashing MO at 158 would seem to be a recipe for disaster since beta is destroyed so quickly at that temp (at least in dilute mashes).

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 07:38:03 pm »
I love MO in my English ales. I just brewed an English IPA this weekend with the recipe below. It's gone from 1.058 to 1.011 in 4 days at 64F using S-04. No problem with beta fed attenuation here. Dry hopping and going on nitro this weekend.

20lbs     Maris Otter
1lb 8oz  Wheat
1lb        Biscuit
1lb        C-40
8oz       C-120
3oz       Challenger @ 60mins
8oz       Fuggle @ 0mins
4oz       EKG @ DH
Safale S-04

Mash @ 149 for 90 mins

1.058 OG
1.011 FG
50 IBUs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 07:42:37 am »
Beta-amylase in a mash is destroyed by heat before alpha-amylase.  It is odd to me that MO would have little to no apha-amylase but have fair amounts of beta.  This oddity is the source of error in my earlier statement.  Mashing MO at 158 would seem to be a recipe for disaster since beta is destroyed so quickly at that temp (at least in dilute mashes).

Exactly what I was alluding to. If you look at the historic recipes that Ron Pattinson has published, there is often some NA malt in there too. That would help conversion.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!