Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: higher alpha subs for noble hops  (Read 4146 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: higher alpha subs for noble hops
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:35:13 am »
Yakimavalleyhops.com is excellent, among others
+1 - also Hops Direct (I've gotten high AA% Ultra from them the last few years, not sure what the 2014 crop will look like), freshops (whole cones only), and Farmhouse Brewing Supply to name a few
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 10:06:57 am »
As good as all those places are, I've been spoiled by the quality from Hop Heaven.  It's generally the only place I order from.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 10:34:22 am »
Instead of looking for high alpha acid substitutes for noble hops, you should stick with noble hops for flavor/aroma additions, and instead use the high alpha acid hops for bittering.

For lagers, I like Perle, Clusters, Styrian Goldings, Northern Brewer, and Magnum for bittering, in about that order. In the past I have tried varieties like Galena, Santiam and Vanguard for bittering, and found them to impart just enough American hop flavor to be distracting.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 10:41:40 am »
Instead of looking for high alpha acid substitutes for noble hops, you should stick with noble hops for flavor/aroma additions, and instead use the high alpha acid hops for bittering.

For lagers, I like Perle, Clusters, Styrian Goldings, Northern Brewer, and Magnum for bittering, in about that order. In the past I have tried varieties like Galena, Santiam and Vanguard for bittering, and found them to impart just enough American hop flavor to be distracting.

So, Cluster does not impart American hops flavor? I use Cluster in the CAP I brew, and have no problem with it in there. Fresh it does have the blackcurrant flavor that I don't associate with noble hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 10:47:07 am »
As good as all those places are, I've been spoiled by the quality from Hop Heaven.  It's generally the only place I order from.
Agreed! The hops I've gotten from Ted have been fantastic.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 11:18:34 am »

So, Cluster does not impart American hops flavor? I use Cluster in the CAP I brew, and have no problem with it in there. Fresh it does have the blackcurrant flavor that I don't associate with noble hops.

I should clarify that the bittering hops I like using for lagers are not substitute for noble hops, but the slight flavors they impart (used as bittering hops) complement the noble hops flavor.  As Jeff points out, Clusters works well in a CAP, especially if you finish it off with Saaz. Its also good in other pilsner styles = Pilsner Urquell  uses Clusters as a bittering hop.

Perle I think of as being somewhat minty, Northern Brewer as earthy, and Styrian Goldings also with a blackcurrant note. They all seem to compliment noble hops in lagers. I used to use Magnum quite a bit, it almost seems a little too clean (kind of like eating walleyes, I prefer eating fish that tastes like fish).