Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burning your bag in BIAB?  (Read 9366 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Burning your bag in BIAB?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 08:01:27 am »
Jeff - I've always wondered if you could run into the infamous HSA (mostly myth at the homebrew level I know, but with too much recirc in this way???). I may try a modified, hillbilly RIMS one of these days to see if there is a discernible difference, since I just did an ultra careful, no splash, rack to boil kettle to see if it results in any discernible difference.

BTW, I have a neighbor who does the drain and pour method while applying heat to a mash that is stepping up through steps or just being boosted to correct mash/mash out and he says he gets no problems doing it that way.  And his beers are really good, too.

With the way I recirculate, where can extra air be introduced? The return is below the mash surface, the pump is not adding air.

I pump to the kettle through the outlet ball valve and dip tube, so the dip tube is covered as quick as if I racked in.

Pilsners brewed this way in the winter stay in good condition to the end of the summer - when they are gone.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 06:21:15 am »
Jeff - I've always wondered if you could run into the infamous HSA (mostly myth at the homebrew level I know, but with too much recirc in this way???). I may try a modified, hillbilly RIMS one of these days to see if there is a discernible difference, since I just did an ultra careful, no splash, rack to boil kettle to see if it results in any discernible difference.

BTW, I have a neighbor who does the drain and pour method while applying heat to a mash that is stepping up through steps or just being boosted to correct mash/mash out and he says he gets no problems doing it that way.  And his beers are really good, too.

With the way I recirculate, where can extra air be introduced? The return is below the mash surface, the pump is not adding air.

I pump to the kettle through the outlet ball valve and dip tube, so the dip tube is covered as quick as if I racked in.

Pilsners brewed this way in the winter stay in good condition to the end of the summer - when they are gone.

I guess you are right, but when I do the recirc during chilling, I get some foaming, at times.

If your light lagers are holding up for months, you don't have stability problems.  Like I said HSA at the homebrew level is said to be a myth.  So, I may have to give it a try.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 06:24:33 am »

I guess you are right, but when I do the recirc during chilling, I get some foaming, at times.

If your light lagers are holding up for months, you don't have stability problems.  Like I said HSA at the homebrew level is said to be a myth.  So, I may have to give it a try.

I don't get any foam. Check your fittings, the pump my be sucking in air on the inlet side.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 06:32:38 am »
Good point - Teflon tape will be added to the male threaded stainless QDC on the boil kettle.  I recirc for a while at the end of the boil to sanitize the hosing and pump, also.  I wonder if an air inlet can arise at any connection as the wort chills and the hosing goes from boil to 55F?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 06:38:38 am »
Good point - Teflon tape will be added to the male threaded stainless QDC on the boil kettle.  I recirc for a while at the end of the boil to sanitize the hosing and pump, also.  I wonder if an air inlet can arise at any connection as the wort chills and the hosing goes from boil to 55F?
One of the well known brewers in my club will slightly crack open the inlet until he sees small bubbles in the outlet in the kettle when chilling, he does that to aerate before pitching.

The inlet side has low pressure, as the pump creates a vacuum pulling in the liquid. The outlet will have high pressure. Air can be drawn in on the inlet side due to the vacuum.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:02 am »
A stainless or chrome plated cake cooling rack or steamer rack works great for keeping the bag off the bottom, that's what I used for my first BIAB kettle. My new kettle is a 15 gal Blichmann, I found a chrome plated replacement grill at Bass Pro Shops that fits the kettle perfectly and sits on the stepped bottom lip in place of the false bottom.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:28 am »

If you don't heat your kettle during the mash you never have to worry about scorching. Insulating your kettle during the mash should help you keep your heat loss to an acceptable level.

If you're thinking of doing step mashes with BIAB, I think you're a lot better off doing it as a separate infusion. Directly heating your kettle during the mash can create hot spots. If you're worried about scorching your bag you should have the same concerns about the enzymes in your mash as well.
You can apply heat if the grains and bag are not close to the bottom of the kettle. I think the guy in the club recirculates while applying heat. If I make it to the club meeting on Friday I can ask him.

As for the enzymes denaturing, well many in this area do a RIMS approach all of the time with a false bottom and a pump. You just need to be judicious with the heat.
Yes, you will denature enzymes. I had a slew of beers I did with brew in a bag that wouldn't finish below 1.020, even with lots of healthy yeast, pure o2, and low mash temps. I would stir, but it wasn't enough, the heat on the bottom of the kettle was much warmer than what my thermometer near the top was reading... and now I know...

That is why the pump comes in handy. You pump from under the false bottom, and have the return coming back submerged in the grainbed. As I said, use judicious heat, not a blast. That way the wort does not get too hot. No problems with that system/technique. If you don't have a valve to drain/recirculate I do see issues.
+1

If you're going to heat during the mash, your options are either to stir constantly or recirculate. I recirculate.

Before anyone brings up HSA, I'm convinced it's a non issue. 1. The pros say it isn't for homebrewers 2. My club split a batch. One was a normal process. The other had pure oxygen ran for 5 minutes while hot.  The blind testing at the club meeting (150 present) showed no detectable difference. That sealed the deal for me.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 11:37:04 am »
As to HSA, I think you are right, Mike, but isn't it really a storage issue - i.e., HSA mainly affects the time period that storage can be had before staling sets in?  If so, then to be really meaningful, the test should be side by side over various lengths of time to see the difference (unless your club did long term aging on both samples that were tested).

I'm no Hashimoto, just saying....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 12:09:50 pm »
As to HSA, I think you are right, Mike, but isn't it really a storage issue - i.e., HSA mainly affects the time period that storage can be had before staling sets in?  If so, then to be really meaningful, the test should be side by side over various lengths of time to see the difference (unless your club did long term aging on both samples that were tested).

I'm no Hashimoto, just saying....

The research was done for long term storage of pale lagers as I remember. Those have little/no darker malts with anti-oxidative properties, and are often filtered so there is no yeast in the package.

Charlie Bamforth says we should not worry about it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:14 pm »
I agree Jeff.  One of these days I am going to bottles one lagers and see how well they hold up over a longer period of time - my regular crew drinks these kegs as fast as they go on tap (I don't recall the last time a lager lasted more than 3 weeks on my tap), so there is no staling happening with mine!  And I typically hot side strain through a double mesh colander by just pouring the runnings into the boil kettle, so if HSA were an issue, I sure would think that I would have noticed by now.

Cheers to the BIAB discussion and sorry for the hijack!

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
Burning your bag in BIAB?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 04:20:59 pm »
I agree Jeff.  One of these days I am going to bottles one lagers and see how well they hold up over a longer period of time - my regular crew drinks these kegs as fast as they go on tap (I don't recall the last time a lager lasted more than 3 weeks on my tap), so there is no staling happening with mine!  And I typically hot side strain through a double mesh colander by just pouring the runnings into the boil kettle, so if HSA were an issue, I sure would think that I would have noticed by now.

Cheers to the BIAB discussion and sorry for the hijack!
No worries. And Charlie Bamforth is a wealth of knowledge. His studies have really contributed to brewing ans served to disprove many brewing myths....his work on head retention being one.