Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mash temp for porter  (Read 9496 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: mash temp for porter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 08:02:40 am »
I find that when I brew my robust porter, my efficiency is actually slightly higher than my average.  I don't do water adjustments (I've tried PH 5.2 Stabilizer but it doesn't work with my N. Illinois water) and I've just started using a smidgen of freshly ground coffee beans to my mash which has a pH of less than 5.  The coffee may be the reason why I get a better efficiency with my porter.

this likely points to higher than optimal mash pH in the normal course of things. the dark grain and the coffee lower the pH of your mash into acceptable ranges.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:35:54 pm »
I find that when I brew my robust porter, my efficiency is actually slightly higher than my average.  I don't do water adjustments (I've tried PH 5.2 Stabilizer but it doesn't work with my N. Illinois water) and I've just started using a smidgen of freshly ground coffee beans to my mash which has a pH of less than 5.  The coffee may be the reason why I get a better efficiency with my porter.

this likely points to higher than optimal mash pH in the normal course of things. the dark grain and the coffee lower the pH of your mash into acceptable ranges.

You are right.  With my other brews, I don't seem to be able to get my mash pH lower than 5.6.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:48 am »
My efficiency was very bad but the sample tasted great. I feel like it is going to have the perfect roast quality for what I like.

My efficiency has slowly been declining over the past few months which i don't understand. I was getting around 70% and now I seem lucky to hit 65%
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:29:47 am »

My efficiency was very bad but the sample tasted great. I feel like it is going to have the perfect roast quality for what I like.

My efficiency has slowly been declining over the past few months which i don't understand. I was getting around 70% and now I seem lucky to hit 65%

Do you carbon filter your water? I experienced this a few years ago and changed the filter and it went back up....must have been that damned chlorine. Although now I use RO water and build a profile because my water is really hard.

With that being said...over the years, I've  learned efficiency isn't that important to me. I've learned to focus my efforts elsewhere, which really took my beer to the level I want. Good water, good Sanitization, and healthy yeast (pitch rate, temp, and oxygenation) ...and patience make great beer.

If you have these nailed down, you can play around all you want with water chemistry, mash temps, new yeast or hops and be confident in the outcome.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:05 am »
I have not addressed water due to laziness mainly. That will be my next step at some point soon hopefully. The water report that I got back seemed to be missing many important components including pH.

Most of my beers have been coming out good for my tastes but I can rarely predict accurate OGs when doing a new recipe. That is the main issue I have with my efficiency. There are only a few recipes that I brew regularly and those seem to be repeatable.

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 11:41:05 am »
If you really want to know your water profile, send a sample in to ward labs. Or, you can build from RO water.

It's always possible that pH could be affecting it. Knowing where to start and tweeting works. Or, you could always up your grain amount to hit your target.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 11:47:55 am »
I've never heard that chlorine has any effect in the mash. the concern with chlorine is phenols in the finished beer as the yeast metabolize the chlorine/chloramine into chlorophenols.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
I've never heard that chlorine has any effect in the mash. the concern with chlorine is phenols in the finished beer as the yeast metabolize the chlorine/chloramine into chlorophenols.

No, chlorophenol production is a reaction not a metabolite. There are plenty of phenols in wort and beer that can easily be reacted into chlorophenols if there is a reactive form of chlorine present. An important aspect of this contaminant is that its flavor threshold is really low...just a few ppb. At that level, the phenol precursors needed to conduct the reaction are well below their flavor threshold and we don't notice them in the wort or beer. Since chlorinated water often has somewhere in the 1 to 3 ppm level, a similar level of chlorophenol can be created and that is hundreds or thousands of times higher than needed to detect in flavor.

The chlorophenol reaction can take place in the tun, the kettle, fermenter, or even in the glass. Anytime that reactive chlorine is added to beer or wort, the chlorophenol reaction will instantly take place.

PS: the chloride ion is a non-reactive form of chlorine and does not produce chlorophenol. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 01:09:08 pm »
thanks for the correction martin.

Am I correct in saying that it should have no effect on mash performance though?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 01:27:16 pm »
Am I correct in saying that it should have no effect on mash performance though?

You are correct.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 07:01:00 pm »
How's your water? Roasted grains can lower your mash pH. I'm wondering if it's getting low enough to affect conversion for you.
Would steeping the darker grains in a bag in the wort or adding at lautering solve this?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »
How's your water? Roasted grains can lower your mash pH. I'm wondering if it's getting low enough to affect conversion for you.
Would steeping the darker grains in a bag in the wort or adding at lautering solve this?
If this is indeed the case, then it should at least help with the conversion issue. You'd still likely end up with a low final pH in your beer, though, and that may have flavor consequences.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:59 am »
So I would like to start addressing my water. I need to get the home brewer's test kit from Ward Labs as the first step correct?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 09:24:05 am »
So I would like to start addressing my water. I need to get the home brewer's test kit from Ward Labs as the first step correct?

The homebrewers test from Ward gives you info you don't really need at a higher price.  Test W-6 is perfect for homebrewers and much less expensive.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 09:31:06 am »

The homebrewers test from Ward gives you info you don't really need at a higher price.  Test W-6 is perfect for homebrewers and much less expensive.

Thanks Denny!