Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mash temp for porter  (Read 9441 times)

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
Re: mash temp for porter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:09 am »

So I would like to start addressing my water. I need to get the home brewer's test kit from Ward Labs as the first step correct?

The homebrewers test from Ward gives you info you don't really need at a higher price.  Test W-6 is perfect for homebrewers and much less expensive.

Thanks Denny!
+1

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 09:56:52 am »
I will still need to get the test done but it looks like I found some information from my water company that I will post in water reports

EDIT: Looks like I have everything I need except carbonate, and bicarbonate. Everything is listed as averages so it looks like I should just get the test. I have bru'n water although I don't really understand it...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:44:55 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 05:21:41 pm »
So I would like to start addressing my water. I need to get the home brewer's test kit from Ward Labs as the first step correct?

The homebrewers test from Ward gives you info you don't really need at a higher price.  Test W-6 is perfect for homebrewers and much less expensive.

+1
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »

I have bru'n water although I don't really understand it...

If you decide against using your tap water for most styles and go with RO and Bru'n Water (like me), there are people here who can talk you through it. I made Bru'nWater tougher at first than it really is - now I wouldn't brew without it.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »
I went through it a bit today and it is starting to make a bit more sense to me. There isn't any reason I shouldn't use Bru'n Water if I do use my tap water correct?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 06:21:25 pm »
No, use it for sure. You can just plug in the values for your water individually where I just set it to 100% for the RO dropdown.  Then depending on your grist and each lovibond rating, and your water volumes (be really accurate on these values), you'll see the pH that your water alone will bring to the beer. For some styles you'll likely need to adjust your pH up or down to put you in the right pH range. If your water is good though (I'm from the Midwest, where alot of it isn't), then for some styles you may well not need to adjust at all.

EDIT  -  Obviously, once you brew a beer and go back to brew it again, if there are no changes to grist or volumes, you'd be fine to use what you used the first time if you liked the results. That's where taking good notes comes in. Good luck !
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:25:58 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.