Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is Wet Hopping BS?  (Read 11802 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Is Wet Hopping BS?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:48 am »
I read to quickly and saw bong water. Hot dog water makes way more sense.

I asked Jim if the story about the hot dog water was really true - he said yes. In case you didn't see the post  :

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19639.30
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 09:48:09 am »

I asked Jim if the story about the hot dog water was really true - he said yes. In case you didn't see the post  :

One of my favorite posts ever.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 09:48:40 am »

One of my favorite posts ever.

Yep   :)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »
Uh thank you, thank you very much.

And no, I have to work the night of the festival. I was going to try to judge but my schedule changed at work.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 05:21:50 pm »
This is one of the great things about the internet. It's so easy to learn from the utter failures and misguided ideas of brewers who went before me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 05:38:31 pm »
This is one of the great things about the internet. It's so easy to learn from the utter failures and misguided ideas of brewers who went before me.

And mine were no slouch either. I've brewed twice in a day and mis-hopped and mis-pitched the beers (separate occasions), drunk excessively while brewing, all the typical stories. We all learn from each other's successes and failures.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 07:12:50 pm »

And mine were no slouch either. I've brewed twice in a day and mis-hopped and mis-pitched the beers (separate occasions), drunk excessively while brewing, all the typical stories. We all learn from each other's successes and failures.
Is " drunk excessively while brewing" an example of a success or failure? 8)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2014, 07:28:46 pm »

Hey, I'm a well documented proponent of brewing sober then drinking it, Pete. But I'm 47 now, started @ ~ 24ish. Then, I thought it would be great to brew while drinking, at least enough times to realize that the beer quality suffered. Then I got serious.  So I would say - it's an example of failure. We learn from from each other pros and cons, no ?     ;)
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2014, 07:36:39 pm »

Hey, I'm a well documented proponent of brewing sober then drinking it, Pete. But I'm 47 now, started @ ~ 24ish. Then, I thought it would be great to brew while drinking, at least enough times to realize that the beer quality suffered. Then I got serious.  So I would say - it's an example of failure. We learn from from each other pros and cons, no ?     ;)
Ha, i knew. If I drink while brewing its cracking one open towards the end of the boil after most clean up is done. On nights we bottle 3 types of mead though... :-\

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2014, 07:42:12 pm »

Ha, i knew. If I drink while brewing its cracking one open towards the end of the boil after most clean up is done. On nights we bottle 3 types of mead though... :-\

Yep, when I'm at the end of the boil I'll crack one sometimes. And honestly, I've converted enough people to brewing that I know when somebody wants to come over to learn to brew vs coming over to 'hang out and drink while I brew'. I brew with serious homebrewers or candidates - the beer drinkers can come over after it's on tap - period !
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2014, 07:51:28 am »
It's pretty stressful to brew around people partying. We usually fire up the pizza oven and have a post brew party after a brew day with company. I do like to have a good example of the style I'm brewing after clean up.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2014, 09:43:09 am »
AAAAND, back to the topic:
I like fresh hopped beers and have been a bit disappointed on my recent trip to the Pacific Northwest.  It seems I am a week or three early.
Part of the fun of this kind of beer is for the brewers.  They make it a big deal to rush the freshly picked hops back to the brewery just in time for a late boil addition.  It's like a seasonal game for them.
Great Divide has a nice fresh hopped beer that has good distribution.  We get it in Florida about this time of year.  I'd rather have that than a pumpkin beer any day.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2014, 12:00:30 pm »
I have tried several wet hop beers.  The annual Fresh Hop Ale Fest http://www.freshhopalefestival.com/  here in Yakima helps a great deal with that!  I don't often find much of a distinction between them and a typical APA/AIPA.  Some have been quite good, others quite mediocre.  I will qualify my remarks in that my beer-judging palate is a work in progress.  I am better than I was but I'm pretty sure I could not currently pass the BJCP tasting exam I am studying for.

The organizer asked me and the other guys in my BJCP study group to help judge the homebrew portion.  I hope to be able to do that.

The bottom line is that I think it is an interesting, fun way to celebrate hop harvest.  Even if the emperor has no clothes (which the jury is still deliberating on), I still think it is a win for the beer community.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:57 pm »
I have 6 lbs of whole cone centennial hops, that were given to me very recently, that I vacuum sealed and froze 12 - 20 hrs after they were picked, and til then kept cold, dry and in the dark in paper bags.  I plan to use them for Sean Terrill's Two Hearted Ale Clone.  After reading this thread, I'm thinking it might be wise to open what I figure I'll need and dry those on a screen prior to using them.  And for the bittering addition I'll use some pelletized centennials I have in the freezer.

Last year I used a bunch of half-dried whole cone cascades for flavor and aroma additions in a beer along with other varieties of pellet hops and it came out great, although higher IBUs than I expected.

I noticed a comment or two in this thread that has me wondering if part of the deal is individual tastebuds rather than science-based failures from using fresh hops.  I mostly have tried commercial versions of "fresh-hopped" beers and typically enjoyed them, and noticed mainly that they had less pronounced bitterness than a standard similar beer, kinda like what you get from FWH with dried hops.

I guess I also experienced a more flowery, fresh, rounded pungency from the wet-hopped beers.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:17:38 pm by brewsumore »

narvin

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2014, 09:11:21 am »
I've had some bad fresh bop beers.  And some good ones (http://www.hommelbier.be/en/fresh-harvest-2014).   I think, much like picking hops to dry, picking them at the right time for a wet hop beer is very important.