Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Moldy Star San  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Stauffbier

• 1st Kit
Moldy Star San
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:56:22 pm »
Over the last couple of years I've read a few posst on various forums where people claim they have found mold in there buckets of star san solution before. I've personally never experienced this, and I keep solution for many months sometimes. I was just curious if any of you have ever experienced this? It seems implausible to me, but maybe I'm wrong..

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Moldy Star San
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »
I have seen it in the container above the starsan line.

There is still evaporation and condensation happening in the covered bucket. Mold appear on side walls or lid but never in/on solution.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »
The lid on my bucket will get it. I try to clean it, but it comes back.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:43:36 pm »
I get it if it is stored without adequate ventilation.  Just clean it with PBW and then rinse, sanitize and proceed as normal.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stauffbier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:20:45 pm »
Interesting. I've never had this happen. The side of the bucket and underside of the lid always have condensation, but it has never molded on me. I do live in a very dry climate. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »
I had it happen once. I shake the bucket up vigorously now and then in between batches to coat all sides, and problem went away.
Jon H.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:52 am »
I keep a couple of gallons of Star San solution in a covered Home Depot 5 gallon bucket, stored in our (finished) basement. I have seen a "dot" of mold on inside of the lid once - just cleaned it off and wiped some of the solution on to sanitize it. I guess I just assumed that the lid would be an inhospitable place for mold; I'll be spraying it down occasionally now.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:40:05 am »
Whether this happens probably depends on climate (humidity) and how many mold spores are floating around. It happens to me regularly and I live in a fairly humid area.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:11 am »
Hi Mike, great to see you here!  I hjave to admit that I've never had it happen, either.  OTOH, I usually don't keep StarSan around more than a few days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:31:26 am »
Can't say I've seen it happen either. I have spray bottles that I've had for 6-8 months with no issue. I've kept buckets full of Star-San for similar time frame. Kegs, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 10:04:54 am »
Can't say I've seen it happen either. I have spray bottles that I've had for 6-8 months with no issue. I've kept buckets full of Star-San for similar time frame. Kegs, too.

Ah, the spray bottle...forgot that one.  Yeah, mine average 6 months + without mold.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stauffbier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:23 am »
Thanks Denny! Glad to be here!

Jimmy K, I think you're right about geographic location. Mold isn't a common problem on much of anything in my area. The majority of mold I see is behind walls and such in water damage situations (I work in construction)..

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 11:21:48 am »
I recall wort getting in the bucket of starsan from the chiller hose. I usually keep the hose under the starsan and let it run until the wort clears. Then, move the hose to the fermenter. A few days later there was some mold on the top. Starsan is good in the liquid, but settles down and leaves the upper part watery and susceptible to mold growth if there are sugars present. However, I've never seen mold growth without sugars present.

Cheers,

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »
I see on the inside of the lid to the bucket I store my solution in.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »
On the bottom of the 5 gallon plastic bucket lid all the time.  Clean it off and it comes right back. Change the StarSan solution about every 3 months.  I always check the pH and it is less than 3.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins