Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Printing from eZymurgy  (Read 2038 times)

Offline unmaltedcheese

• 1st Kit
Printing from eZymurgy
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:07:12 am »
How does one print from eZymurgy?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Printing from eZymurgy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:06 am »
eZymurgy is not setup for printing.  I believe that this was a deliberate decision to protect copyright.  FYI, the NYT  put back issues on the web and was ultimately found to violate the rights of its contributors because NYT only had consent to publish on paper.

Offline unmaltedcheese

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:51:48 am »
eZymurgy is not setup for printing.  I believe that this was a deliberate decision to protect copyright.  FYI, the NYT  put back issues on the web and was ultimately found to violate the rights of its contributors because NYT only had consent to publish on paper.

That what it seems. Unfortunately, it's so poorly laid out for screen viewing that it's all but unreadable. You can't take a magazine, a vertical single page design, and expect it to be readable on a horizontal computer screen. To actually see the text, I have to zoom way in which means you have to pan and scroll about 15 times just to read one article. The android app is absolutely broken, and the ipad app is about as bad as the desktop version.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:41:03 am by unmaltedcheese »

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25:57 pm »
That what it seems. Unfortunately, it's so poorly laid out for screen viewing that it's all but unreadable. You can't take a magazine, a vertical single page design, and expect it to be readable on a horizontal computer screen. To actually see the text, I have to zoom way in which means you have to pan and scroll about 15 times just to read one article. The android app is absolutely broken, and the ipad app is about as bad as the desktop version.

One thing that might help is something I discovered by accident: for many (but not all) articles, you can click on the article's title (in the desktop version, anyway, and sometimes you have to hunt for the hot spot) and you'll get a nice, plain text version.  It will lack the photos but be perfectly readable, resizeable, and printable.  It's so useful you'll find you rarely need to print.

Glad (in a sick way) to hear I'm not the only one grumpy over eZymurgy.  Interestingly, it was the main reason I first joined the AHA, but I find it so cumbersome to read that I nearly stopped perusing old issues.  On a 22" screen, it's OK.  On a laptop, it's pure misery.  On an iPhone... good lord.  Really?  The principle of separating content from presentation has been completely disregarded.

Now, if anyone knows how to shut off the animation sounds so they stay off, I'd be grateful.