Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermometers  (Read 6641 times)

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
Re: fermometers
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:04 am »
I don't use them. I ferment in a temp controlled freezer and adjust ambient temp 3° below desired temp and get it right every time.

Wait a second, I use one on my hose that exits the chiller. I have always assumed it was right. Now I have to check it. IMO, it really wouldn't matter because I don't pitch yeast until the wort temp stabilizes to the ambient temp in my temp controlled freezer. But, now I'm thinking about its accuracy.

Cheers,

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:53 am »
My fermometers exactly match the temp I have my controller set to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 12:10:50 pm »
Water is the enemy of these things. I did swamp cooler chilling with two of them, and the wet t shirt covered the fermometer. Soon, the temp reading was simultaneously showing 68, 70, 72, 74... on up to as high as the numbers went. I now attach the fermometer to the carboy with 2" wide clear packing tape, in hope of sealing the edges, and try to keep them away from constant water contact. With this method, the temps are pretty close to spot on.