Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mini Tun  (Read 3502 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Mini Tun
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:11:40 pm »
Well I am sure this has been done, but here I go. So I got a 3 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for my 1-2 gallon batch's. I am just not the best DIY sometimes, anyone have any ideas for a valve setup with this. Don't wanna spend $30 on a valve and bulkhead set up

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Mini Tun
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:57:33 am »
Are you opposed to using it as a BIAB vessel? That is what I did with my two gallon cooler. I also did not want to spend $30 to shove a ball valve on a $15 cooler.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:15 am »
Are you opposed to using it as a BIAB vessel? That is what I did with my two gallon cooler. I also did not want to spend $30 to shove a ball valve on a $15 cooler.

Do you stand there holding the button during sparge? Thumbs of steel!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:20 am »
There is a video on this page that shows how to do it for less, scroll down to the mash tun build video.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/videos/all-grain-brewing-video-series/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:41:37 am »
Do you stand there holding the button during sparge? Thumbs of steel!
You can either no-sparge and use your full volume of water; or you just pull the bag, dump the wort in your kettle, then return the bag and sparge. Or you can jam some tubing through the spigot, depending on the size of he spigot opening.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 07:44:20 am »
I just jammed the tubing through the spigot on my big cooler. If I had a small one with a spigot I'd do the same thing. but when I do small batches I use one of those little igloo lunch buddies or whatever they are called. the ones construction workers use to carry an enormous lunch. no spigot so I just do what erock suggests and pull the bag, empty the work, replace the bag and sparge.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:57:58 am »
I have also done mini mashes in a pot, and you can preheat the oven and put the pot in there to hold temperature.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 08:26:21 am »
I have also done mini mashes in a pot, and you can preheat the oven and put the pot in there to hold temperature.

this works as well.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 09:12:34 am »
Well I am sure this has been done, but here I go. So I got a 3 gallon Rubbermaid cooler for my 1-2 gallon batch's. I am just not the best DIY sometimes, anyone have any ideas for a valve setup with this. Don't wanna spend $30 on a valve and bulkhead set up

You can do it for about 3 bucks.  See www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 11:58:37 am »
My biggest reason for the cooler is temp control, I don't know about you guys but I had a hard time with temps on the stove last weekend. They we jumping around alot

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »
My biggest reason for the cooler is temp control, I don't know about you guys but I had a hard time with temps on the stove last weekend. They we jumping around alot

coolers are great for that. but Jeff's suggestion of a preheated oven can help a lot too. If your oven can go that low.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:35 pm »

coolers are great for that. but Jeff's suggestion of a preheated oven can help a lot too. If your oven can go that low.

+1.  I remember after starting AG I thought about using the oven I had at the time.  Except at its coolest it wouldn't go cooler than ~ 200F.  A little over mash temp.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 04:53:27 pm »

Some go lower than that. as I say preheat, turn it off, put the minimash in, I don't think there is much rise.

+1.  I remember after starting AG I thought about using the oven I had at the time.  Except at its coolest it wouldn't go cooler than ~ 200F.  A little over mash temp.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 05:07:13 pm »

Some go lower than that. as I say preheat, turn it off, put the minimash in, I don't think there is much rise.

For sure. I've had a few ovens since then that go (accurately) lower than that. It was around the time I went with my first round Igloo and started fly sparging, which eventually led to batch sparging. I have no doubt there'd be little, probably no temp rise with that oven method.

EDIT  -  I misunderstood preheating the oven to mean leaving the heat on at a constant temp, not shutting off, Jeff.  My bad.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:55:26 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »

For sure. I've had a few ovens since then that go (accurately) lower than that. It was around the time I went with my first round Igloo and started fly sparging, which eventually led to batch sparging. I have no doubt there'd be little, probably no temp rise with that oven method.

EDIT  -  I misunderstood preheating the oven to mean leaving the heat on at a constant temp, not shutting off, Jeff.  My bad.

Yes get it to the lowest Temp, 160 to 170 F in some ovens. Turn it off, put the pot in, no worries.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild