Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation complete, alter temp when dry-hopping  (Read 1174 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
fermentation complete, alter temp when dry-hopping
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:50:52 pm »
Sorry in advance if this isn't in the correct category. I brewed a DIPA 10 days ago, had the OG drop from 1.084 to 1.020 @ 65 using WLP001, then raised the temp to 72 and dropped it even further to 1.004 and it hasn't budged in 2 days, so I'll call it a day. I want to dry hop now for 10 days, so should I drop the temp back to the mid 60's, or keep it as is? I'm concerned about holding an ale above 70 even though I'm pretty sure fermentation is complete.

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
Re: fermentation complete, alter temp when dry-hopping
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:01:08 am »
Firstly, you have >95% attenuation.  I'm pretty sure you have a problem unless you typo'd your FG and meant 1.014 instead of 1.004. 

To your question, everyone has their own way of dryhopping, it seems.  You can experiment a few different ways and see what works for you.  I tend to add a small dry hop as fermentation is winding up (~5days post-pitch).  I ramp my temps up to 72° also.  After ~3days, I'll drop temp to 60° to drop the yeast and first dry hop.  I'll add the second dry hop, a more substantial dry hop, and let the temp come back up to 65°.  Then cold crash, fine, and rack to purged keg with suspended hop sack with a 3rd, smaller dry hop. 

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Re: fermentation complete, alter temp when dry-hopping
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 01:22:59 pm »
I re-sanitized my thief and hydrometer and did a second pull to make sure to make sure I wasn't seeing things but yes, it dropped to 1.004. I pitched a 2L starter and mashed at 147 for 90 minutes with 21 lbs of grain, so I think what I saw was accurate... somehow.

I've rarely dry-hopped, so I suppose it's time to experiment. I think I'll give your methodology a try before crashing and kegging. Thanks for the help.