Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cutting the bottom off of a Better Bottle  (Read 3302 times)

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Re: Cutting the bottom off of a Better Bottle
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 12:29:08 pm »
I want to use an old Better Bottle carboy for a hopper on my new JSP grain mill.  Has anyone had any luck or have any advice on this? 

Honestly at this point I think I'd shred it if I tried cutting it with anything I have.  My best guess is to use a torch to cut the bottom off.

If there's nothing wrong with the carboy, I would save that puppy and buy a 5+ gallon jug of water from BJ's.  The deposit is only $5, and they have a 5.25 gallon capacity.  I did this exact same thing for my old PhilMill.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »
I want to use an old Better Bottle carboy for a hopper on my new JSP grain mill.  Has anyone had any luck or have any advice on this? 

Honestly at this point I think I'd shred it if I tried cutting it with anything I have.  My best guess is to use a torch to cut the bottom off.

If there's nothing wrong with the carboy, I would save that puppy and buy a 5+ gallon jug of water from BJ's.  The deposit is only $5, and they have a 5.25 gallon capacity.  I did this exact same thing for my old PhilMill.

I've got two that I never use anymore since I have a conical and a Speidel... and only one fermentation chamber.  So $5 would be a waste IMO.  I figure I've got two chances to get this project right.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 08:38:04 am »
I would just use a firm karate chop.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:24 am »
I would just use a firm karate chop.

Wear goggles

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:31 pm »
I couldn't locate my Dremel nor any NiChrome wire (which would have been cool).  So I went with the coping saw.  It did produce a slightly rough edge but nothing that would be an issue so I am not going to take the time to clean it up.

Here it is all assembled.  The connecting piece is a short section of the female end of a 2" PVC pipe.  The bottle fits in the female end and about an inch and a half of the normal diameter of the pipe fits well, though not snugly, in the hole of the 'Large Hopper Adapter' board.

Goggles will only be required after drinking a bunch of the beer this will help produce.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:12:55 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton