Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baxter/DC Brau Daughters of Poseidon (Black IPA w/ Oysters)  (Read 1113 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Baxter/DC Brau Daughters of Poseidon (Black IPA w/ Oysters)
« on: September 20, 2014, 09:46:42 pm »
I've been drinking my way through a selection of brews I got in a recent beer trade with a buddy of mine. Unfortunately, most of them weren't worth writing about (fermentation issues, sweet IPA issues, Summit onion ring issues, etc.)

Daughters of Poseidon is billed as a Black IPA with oysters. To me it's more of an oyster porter, but nomenclature aside it's actually a pretty nice beer. I get coffee, citrus, toffee and a hint of brine on the nose. Bitterness is nice and firm, with some bitter espresso to match it. There is definitely some toffee/caramel going on in a complimentary low note. I don't get much hop flavor going on. I get oyster brininess on my lips, then into the finish as the toffee flavors drop out. It's actually a really good mix.

Judging by some of the tasting notes on BA, either my can is on the older side and the hop flavor has dropped out, or I'm drinking it a bit too cold. Either way, this is a really nice porter. The brininess from the oysters is a surprisingly nice compliment to the roast and bitterness.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer